Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3.5kva petrol generator - what will it drive ???

Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsafluke" wrote in message
Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

Does it not have an information plate (or book) that states the wattage
output. It's a bit like "How long is a piece of string?" without that
information. You can get 3.5kva gennys that can run up to 3000 Watts, and
others that will struggle to power 1500 Watts. What make and model is it?

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from itsafluke contains these words:

Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

Well, allegedly at full pelt, 3.5kW, but of course that's a
manufacturer's rating, so in real life it may be considerably less.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsafluke" wrote in message
Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

Is that 3500 watts peak or 3500 intermittent? you may find in the
specification it's only 1000watts continuous and 3500 watts at 10% of full
cycle! so OK for running say a large PA or audio amp that will only be
using maximum power on peaks of music or speech but won't like a flymo which
has a continually rated motor .

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsafluke" wrote in message
Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

Well 3.5kva = about 2800watts 16amp for most loads but its recommended you
derate by about 25% for use with induction motors, like perhaps your flymo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Does it not have an information plate (or book) that states the wattage
output. It's a bit like "How long is a piece of string?" without that
information. You can get 3.5kva gennys that can run up to 3000 Watts, and
others that will struggle to power 1500 Watts. What make and model is it?

The number of watts it can drive is more a function of the equipment you
are powering than the genny... with incandescent lighting you cna
probably go close to 3kW, whereas with an induction motored power tool
you could be down to half that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsafluke" wrote in message
Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

I have a home-built 3.5kva generator based on a Chinese copy of a Honda
GX200 engine and an alternator from Machine Mart. I've sucessfully used it
to power a similar mower to yours.

I'd suggest trying to power a resistive load such as some 500w floodlights
and see what it will do.
I have a group of 4 mounted on a fold-out tripod with "T" bar (Ex D.J.
lighting stand!). The gen will power these OK with a little flicker from the
lights which is typical of small generators.
I also have a 3.5kva "Kipor" brand digital inverter generator which powers
the same lights without the flicker and with less noise too, however
delivering decent quality power is one of it's features.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John wrote:

Does it not have an information plate (or book) that states the wattage
output. It's a bit like "How long is a piece of string?" without that
information. You can get 3.5kva gennys that can run up to 3000 Watts,
and others that will struggle to power 1500 Watts. What make and model
is it?

The number of watts it can drive is more a function of the equipment you
are powering than the genny... with incandescent lighting you cna
probably go close to 3kW, whereas with an induction motored power tool you
could be down to half that.

Depending on the power factor of both the Gen (probably 0.8) and the motor
it is driving (in the case of a cheap induction lawn-mower, probably alot
less than 0.8)

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just borrowed 1700w chinese concrete breaker, and a Dewalt
breaker of similar rating, and they run perfectly.

I think the conclusion I have come up with is that the concrete
breaker actually starts on no load (or soft start). Load only comes on
as u use it.

Where as a flymo virtually has full load on it straight away, ie belt
is connected direct to the blade, which has to created the hover
straight away, that also has to cut straight away. I noticed that with
a JCB hover mower the intsructions say to tilt it over when first
starting.

"itsafluke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from luke58 contains these words:

I noticed that with
a JCB hover mower the intsructions say to tilt it over when first
starting.

All the hover mowers I've ever bothered to read the instructions for
have said that.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

luke58 wrote:

I have just borrowed 1700w chinese concrete breaker, and a Dewalt
breaker of similar rating, and they run perfectly.

Both probably have universal motors...

I think the conclusion I have come up with is that the concrete
breaker actually starts on no load (or soft start). Load only comes on
as u use it.

Where as a flymo virtually has full load on it straight away, ie belt
is connected direct to the blade, which has to created the hover
straight away, that also has to cut straight away. I noticed that with
a JCB hover mower the intsructions say to tilt it over when first
starting.

Its quite possible that the mower has an induction motor - lots of
modern ones do since they run much more quietly. These (unless
corrected) often have a poor power factor. That will mean that the load
it presents to the generator will appear much greater, and hence the
genny will have a harder time running it, even if the power consumption
is theoretically within its capability.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to John Rumm, kiwi wrote:
€¢ Electric Mower 1500W Remember your generator needs to have enough power
output to handle the startup wattage (approximate 2 to 3 times the values of
the running

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ve-373659-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to John Rumm, kiwi wrote:
Common Appliances:
€¢ Clothes Dryer 4000W
€¢ Dishwasher 1200 - 3600W
€¢ Electric Oven 2000W
€¢ Heater 150 - 2000W
€¢ Microwave 600 - 1500W
€¢ Toaster 800 - 1500W
€¢ Electric Frying Pan 1200W
€¢ Iron 1000W
€¢ Blow Hair Dryer 1000W
€¢ Stove Range 800W
€¢ Coffee Maker 800W
€¢ Vacuum 200 - 800W
€¢ Washing Machine 500W
€¢ Fridge/Freezer 200 - 700W
€¢ Television 100 - 450W
€¢ Computer + Monitor 100 - 400W
€¢ Blender 350W
€¢ Electric Blanket 200W
€¢ Sewing Machine 100W
€¢ Light Bulb 18 - 60W
€¢ Laptop 50W
€¢ Shaver 15W
Outdoor Power Tools:
€¢ Electric Mower 1500W
€¢ 10" Bench Saw 1500W
€¢ Weed Eater 500W
€¢ Hedge Trimmer 450W
€¢ Belt Sander 380W
€¢ Drill 330W
hope this list helps .approximate values for the running wattage of common
household appliances: a generator needs to have enough power output to handle
the start up wattage (approximate 2 to 3 times the values the start up is
normally the max it will run Output: 800w while the load is the rated Output:
700w the unit i have shown is not able to run a fridge and tv together but
will run the TV but would be pushing to handle the fridge just on its own

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ve-373659-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2017 03:51, kiwi wrote:
replying to John Rumm, kiwi wrote:
€¢ Electric Mower 1500W Remember your generator needs to have enough
power
output to handle the startup wattage (approximate 2 to 3 times the
values of
the running

Is the OP still alive?

Do you think the mower and generator would be defunct by now?

EU rules now advocate soft startup for some power items.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 August 2017 03:51:31 UTC+1, kiwi wrote:
replying to John Rumm, kiwi wrote:
Common Appliances:
€¢ Clothes Dryer 4000W

Not on a 13 amp socket!

€¢ Stove Range 800W

A what?

€¢ Washing Machine 500W

Presumably an American hot-fill one?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to kiwi, Bob wrote:
You are replying to a ten year old question. And you are replying to the wrong
person; John Rumm knows more than most people about these things.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ve-373659-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2017 03:51, kiwi wrote:

replying to John Rumm, kiwi wrote:

I guess you are replying to the wrong person in the thread, but since
its so old, it hardly matters.

Common Appliances:
€¢ Clothes Dryer 4000W

Seems unlikely in the UK; 2 - 3kW would be a more normal range for a
domestic tumble drier.

€¢ Dishwasher 1200 - 3600W

~3.1kW would be the maximum for a plug in device (240V @ 13A), however
1.8kW to 2.8kW is a far more typical range.

€¢ Electric Oven 2000W

Electric single oven would be more typically 1.8kW, a double oven could
be upto about 4.8kW

€¢ Heater 150 - 2000W

What type of heater? 3kW plug in heaters are common. But 60W tubular
heaters also readily available.

€¢ Microwave 600 - 1500W
€¢ Toaster 800 - 1500W

over 2kW would not be exceptional for a 4 slice machine.

€¢ Electric Frying Pan 1200W
€¢ Iron 1000W
€¢ Blow Hair Dryer 1000W

€¢ Stove Range 800W

Not sure what you class as a "stove range" - here it would typically
mean a larger electric hob and possibly a set of ovens. Peak loads of
12kW would not be unrealistic - although obviously diversity would
apply, and that will reduce the typical operating average load
considerably.

€¢ Coffee Maker 800W
€¢ Vacuum 200 - 800W

900W is the EU enforced power limit for domestic vacuums now, although
older machines of 1800W to 2kW are common.

€¢ Washing Machine 500W

No chance in the UK, 2 to 2.5kW would be common - since they will
usually be cold fill and have internal electric heating.

€¢ Fridge/Freezer 200 - 700W

Many modern appliances are better than that now.

€¢ Television 100 - 450W

Again, most modern TVs will come in under 300W these days.

€¢ Computer + Monitor 100 - 400W
€¢ Blender 350W
€¢ Electric Blanket 200W
€¢ Sewing Machine 100W

€¢ Light Bulb 18 - 60W

2W to 500W (LED candle lamp to halogen floodlight)

€¢ Laptop 50W

30W to 90W

€¢ Shaver 15W

Outdoor Power Tools:
€¢ Electric Mower 1500W
€¢ 10" Bench Saw 1500W
€¢ Weed Eater 500W
€¢ Hedge Trimmer 450W
€¢ Belt Sander 380W
€¢ Drill 330W

hope this list helps

Yup, but I am not sure what for!

..approximate values for the running wattage of common
household appliances: a generator needs to have enough power output to
handle
the start up wattage (approximate 2 to 3 times the values the start up is
normally the max it will run Output: 800w while the load is the rated
Output:
700w the unit i have shown is not able to run a fridge and tv together but
will run the TV but would be pushing to handle the fridge just on its own

Not quite sure what that paragraph is actually saying...

Fridges typically have compressors driven by induction motors, and
inrush current on those can be 5 to 9 times normal operating current.
Add to that the older ones may have a relatively poor power factor which
makes them harder for a generators to drive. A TV should be an "easier"
load even if notionally the same power consumption.

--
Cheers,

John.