Posted to uk.d-i-y
luke58 luke58 is offline

Default 3.5kva petrol generator - what will it drive ???

I have just borrowed 1700w chinese concrete breaker, and a Dewalt
breaker of similar rating, and they run perfectly.

I think the conclusion I have come up with is that the concrete
breaker actually starts on no load (or soft start). Load only comes on
as u use it.

Where as a flymo virtually has full load on it straight away, ie belt
is connected direct to the blade, which has to created the hover
straight away, that also has to cut straight away. I noticed that with
a JCB hover mower the intsructions say to tilt it over when first
starting.

"itsafluke" wrote in message
.. .
Just picked up a 'good' generator.

Tried it on my little hand planer 200w - no problem
Tried it on my Flymo 300 compact hoover lawn mower 1400W - does not
seem to have enough umph (even thou not cutting anything)

Just what will it drive ???

I have a home-built 3.5kva generator based on a Chinese copy of a Honda
GX200 engine and an alternator from Machine Mart. I've sucessfully used it
to power a similar mower to yours.

I'd suggest trying to power a resistive load such as some 500w floodlights
and see what it will do.
I have a group of 4 mounted on a fold-out tripod with "T" bar (Ex D.J.
lighting stand!). The gen will power these OK with a little flicker from the
lights which is typical of small generators.
I also have a 3.5kva "Kipor" brand digital inverter generator which powers
the same lights without the flicker and with less noise too, however
delivering decent quality power is one of it's features.

Alan.