Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roof air vents

We find that our house lacks roof ventilation, the surveyor over looked this
amount many other things! I have found that I need about 1sq ft for each
300sq ft roof floor area. I would think where the vents go will effect how
well they would work. We have a slate roof in an L shape, most of the house
being south facing. Is there somewhere that gives some guidance on this?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000707-0, 27/01/2007
Tested on: 27/01/2007 16:48:38

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:
We find that our house lacks roof ventilation

How did we find this?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Water driping down from the felt!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"John" writes:
We find that our house lacks roof ventilation

How did we find this?

--
Andrew Gabriel

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000707-0, 27/01/2007
Tested on: 27/01/2007 19:09:39

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:
We find that our house lacks roof ventilation

How did we find this?

Water driping down from the felt!

Any idea how old the roof is, and what type of felt is used?
The strips of felt often sag enough between the rafters that
they provide plenty of ventilation that way.

Some other things to check...

If you have water tanks in the loft...
Do they have close fitting lids?
Do they get hot?

Do you have any holes through the ceiling which allow air to
pass through from the house, e.g. recessed spotlights, oversized
holes for pipes/cables, and if so, from which rooms below?
Is your loft hatch likely to be leaking air through?
Do you have extract fans in bath/shower rooms, and if so, where
to they extract to?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:
We find that our house lacks roof ventilation

How did we find this?

Water driping down from the felt!

Any idea how old the roof is, and what type of felt is used?

The roof was re built some 20 years ago with non breathing felt (don't
think was around then, but the then owners did every thing on the cheep any
way!). The house is made up of 3 old cattages, 400 to 200 years old. The
roof rafters rest directly on to the stoon rubble walls.
The strips of felt often sag enough between the rafters that
they provide plenty of ventilation that way.

No the overlaps are very tight, I have looked at creating "vent" but only
started to damage it.

Some other things to check...

If you have water tanks in the loft...

No, but there was one with no cover in airing cubared below roof which ad
many holes into the roof. Its now fitted with a cover, thick plastic, clips
fitted round all pipes into/out and the holes are sealed.

Do they have close fitting lids?

Do they get hot?

yes it did!

Do you have any holes through the ceiling which allow air to
pass through from the house, e.g. recessed spotlights,

There are three, spotlightts, now fitted with plaster board covers to seal
them off.. The holes for lighting, spoke detecters and odd unused pipes are
now all sealed
oversized
holes for pipes/cables, and if so, from which rooms below?
Is your loft hatch likely to be leaking air through?

They were (there are two) but now have with seals and "shash window
fasteners" toclamp them Do you have extract fans in bath/shower rooms, and
if so, where
to they extract to?

Ground floor extracter vent through flat roof, along with the kitchin.

--
Andrew Gabriel

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000707-0, 27/01/2007
Tested on: 27/01/2007 22:00:05

Roof vents Ben Blaukopf UK diy 4 May 4th 06 07:47 PM
Roof Vents Doug Kanter Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 11:13 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Roof vents Peter Wells Home Repair 2 September 16th 05 08:05 PM
Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM