flash

Default Roof vents

Hi,

I was busy painting my fascia/soffit boards at lunctime when some bloke
wandered past and told me that my soffits had no vents in them and this was
Not A Good Thing.

A quick lecture on roof ventilation and a wander round revealed the
following.

No vents in any of the soffits.
No gable end vents in the wall of the house.
No vents in the roof or ridege.

My soffits are wooden so I was thinking of installing something like this:

However my question is, will soffit vents be enough to create some airflow
(the house does get very hot upstairs in summer) or do I need some
roof/ridge vents as well.

Something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...32202&id=87207 perhaps? Are
thse easy to fit?

The house has a large roof with a pretty shallow pitch and concrete tiles.

Thanks in advance.

Christian McArdle

I was busy painting my fascia/soffit boards at lunctime when some bloke
wandered past and told me that my soffits had no vents in them and this

was
Not A Good Thing.

It depends on the construction of the roof. If you have breathable membrane
sarking (or no sarking at all) and full fill insulation, then no additional
roof ventilation is required.

Christian.

flash

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
I was busy painting my fascia/soffit boards at lunctime when some bloke
wandered past and told me that my soffits had no vents in them and this

was
Not A Good Thing.

It depends on the construction of the roof. If you have breathable

membrane
sarking (or no sarking at all) and full fill insulation, then no

additional
roof ventilation is required.

Cheers. The house was built in the 1970s if that helps. If could you let me
know how to identity the sarking, I'll have a look in the attic.

Christian McArdle

Cheers. The house was built in the 1970s if that helps. If could you let
me
know how to identity the sarking, I'll have a look in the attic.

When standing in the loft what do you see looking up?

(a) Plasterboard
(b) Hardboard
(c) Insulation between rafters
(d) Fabric above the rafters
(e) Boarding above the rafters
(f) The back of the tiles
(g) Something else?

Also, is there insulation on the loft floor? Can you see daylight anywhere?

Christian.

John Rumm

flash wrote:

I was busy painting my fascia/soffit boards at lunctime when some bloke
wandered past and told me that my soffits had no vents in them and this was
Not A Good Thing.

A quick lecture on roof ventilation and a wander round revealed the
following.

No vents in any of the soffits.
No gable end vents in the wall of the house.
No vents in the roof or ridege.

First question would be do you need them?

How old is the property? Does it have sarking (i.e. under tile felt)? If
it does, is it breathable?

Lots of older properties for example have no sarking at all and hence
don't really need separate ventilation (enough air gets through the tiles).

Modern properties will often have a breathable sarking which again
solves the problem.

Even many middle aged properties often have enough air gaps at the ends
of the eves to cope.

My soffits are wooden so I was thinking of installing something like this:

However my question is, will soffit vents be enough to create some airflow
(the house does get very hot upstairs in summer) or do I need some
roof/ridge vents as well.

You won't get much airflow as such (since it has not really got anywhere
to flow). The main purpose of the ventilation is to preserve the roof
timbers from rot by preventing a build up of moisture in them.

Cooling the roof space is a whole new ball game.

Something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...32202&id=87207 perhaps? Are
thse easy to fit?

Yup, buy a hole saw to match, stick it on a drill, make a hole and push
the plastic thing in.

--
Cheers,

John.

flash

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Cheers. The house was built in the 1970s if that helps. If could you let

me
know how to identity the sarking, I'll have a look in the attic.

When standing in the loft what do you see looking up?

(a) Plasterboard
(b) Hardboard
(c) Insulation between rafters
(d) Fabric above the rafters
(e) Boarding above the rafters
(f) The back of the tiles
(g) Something else?

Also, is there insulation on the loft floor? Can you see daylight

anywhere?

There is some sort of fabric above the rafters. It looks and feels like
roofing felt (ie black and tarry). This goes all the way from the top to the
bottom of the visible roof

There are rolls of insulation on the floor, with large blocks of polestyrene
on top of some (but not all) of the insulation.

No sign of any daylight.

It is very hot!

Christian McArdle

OK, you have what was probably the most likely situation for a 1970s house.
It is what is called a cold roof/cold loft with non breathable sarking. It's
even called a cold loft in this weather! The term "cold" really means
outside the house insulation zone.

It could certainly use some soffit ventilation.

Alternatively, if you want to climate control the space for storage reasons,
perhaps with an eye for future conversion, you could take one of the
following options:

Option 1:
a) Install the soffit vents.
b) Install kingspan between rafters, leaving 50mm ventilation gap between
insulation and felt.
c) Install further kingspan underneath rafters.
d) Plasterboard over.

Option 2:
a) Don't bother with soffit vents.
b) Remove roof covering.
c) Replace felt with breathable membrane
d) Replace roof covering.
e) Fully fill between rafters with kingspan
f) Install further kingspan underneath rafters (less than in option 1)
g) Plasterboard over

Option 2 is much more work, but provides a better solution. It is a good
option if the roof covering is due for replacement anyway and you have an
eye for future conversion. It provides, on average, about 5cm of extra
headroom over option 1. Both options provide a "cold roof/warm loft"
solution.

The ideal warm roof/warm loft situation requires more work and would raise
the roof line by at least 5cm, usually requiring planning permission that
would be refused on a semi or terraced house, although would provide
additional head room.

Christian.

flash

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
OK, you have what was probably the most likely situation for a 1970s

house.
It is what is called a cold roof/cold loft with non breathable sarking.

It's
even called a cold loft in this weather! The term "cold" really means
outside the house insulation zone.

It could certainly use some soffit ventilation.

Alternatively, if you want to climate control the space for storage

reasons,
perhaps with an eye for future conversion, you could take one of the
following options:

snip much useful stuff

Cheers for that. I can't see me doing anything with the loft space as it has
a very low roof space (like less than six foot at the highest point).

If I fit the soffit vents do you think I also need some vents in the roof
near the top? I ask because the stuff I've seen on the web has nifty
diagrams showing cold air being sucked in the soffit vents and hot air being
exhausted out of the top of the roof.

Christian McArdle

If I fit the soffit vents do you think I also need some vents in the roof
near the top? I ask because the stuff I've seen on the web has nifty
diagrams showing cold air being sucked in the soffit vents and hot air

being
exhausted out of the top of the roof.

Ridge vents are ideal, but not necessary for an open loft with soffit
ventilation, IMO.

Christian.

flash

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
If I fit the soffit vents do you think I also need some vents in the

roof
near the top? I ask because the stuff I've seen on the web has nifty
diagrams showing cold air being sucked in the soffit vents and hot air

being
exhausted out of the top of the roof.

Ridge vents are ideal, but not necessary for an open loft with soffit
ventilation, IMO.

Thanks. I'll put some soffit vents in for now and see how it goes.

The Natural Philosopher

flash wrote:

[...]

Before you dop all that, wait for winter and go uypo there, and asess
wherther or not te woodwork is in any way damp, and the space smells
musty and airless.

Sofgfit vents make a roof into an icey place in winter, and reduce teh
effect of the insulation due too sever draughts getting in.

Its your choice, but remember the requirements of a warm house and no
rot in your beams are somewhat in opposition.

I am prtobablty ince teh BCO goes away going to plug up MOST of my
soffit vents. The roof space is not so much ventilated as completely
open to the elements - except rain.

ALL roof ventilation is about is making sure warm moist air from below
doesn't get up and condense on your cold rafters.

If you have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation - and you bloody
well should, IMHO - but not the BCO's text book, you do not need
anything LIKE the ventalation they suggest.

I suspect their bventialtion requiremenst are a hangover from pre-vapour
barrier days.

Mike

If you have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation - and you bloody
well should, IMHO - but not the BCO's text book

Totally agree on this. To my mind it should be in the regs yet new houses
are still being built without it.

I've also had to meet the regs on the soffit ventilation and sometimes
there's a gale blowing through. Does anybody know what the amount of air
per second specified in the regs actually feels like ?

Moving roof vents Christopher Cranmer Home Repair 7 June 13th 05 11:02 PM
Worth using the roof fan with ridge+soffit vents? jay Home Repair 8 April 11th 05 05:01 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
# of soffit and roof vents???? Cory Lechner Home Repair 6 August 23rd 03 03:49 AM