Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Roof Vents

I'm in the process of getting estimates for a new roof. 1250 sq foot ranch,
3 box vents already in place near the peak, and 1 vent in the side walls on
either end of the peak. No soffet vents. I've been in the attic when it was
close to 90 degrees outside and been surprised to find that it wasn't an
oven up there. The house is comfortable in that weather even without the AC
running. When it does run, it's not much.

And, best of all, when there's a blanket of snow on the roof, there are no
hot spots where I see more melting than in other spots, no ice dams.

I'm sure the various roofing people are going to suggest a vent along the
peak. Since everything's working nicely as is, is there any good reason to
consider the extra expense?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm in the process of getting estimates for a new roof. 1250 sq foot
ranch, 3 box vents already in place near the peak, and 1 vent in the
side walls on either end of the peak. No soffet vents. I've been in
the attic when it was close to 90 degrees outside and been surprised
to find that it wasn't an oven up there. The house is comfortable in
that weather even without the AC running. When it does run, it's not
much.
And, best of all, when there's a blanket of snow on the roof, there
are no hot spots where I see more melting than in other spots, no ice
dams.
I'm sure the various roofing people are going to suggest a vent along
the peak. Since everything's working nicely as is, is there any good
reason to consider the extra expense?

While I tend to believe it is difficult to have too much venting, I
suggest leaving it alone UNLESS: the existing vents fail to meet the local
standards for venting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Attic vents Sidney Schwartz Home Repair 36 April 13th 06 09:20 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Roof Ventilation & Soffit Vents Graham Jones UK diy 0 September 25th 05 07:52 PM
Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM
# of soffit and roof vents???? Cory Lechner Home Repair 6 August 23rd 03 03:49 AM