Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Roof Vents

Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm in the process of getting estimates for a new roof. 1250 sq foot
ranch, 3 box vents already in place near the peak, and 1 vent in the
side walls on either end of the peak. No soffet vents. I've been in
the attic when it was close to 90 degrees outside and been surprised
to find that it wasn't an oven up there. The house is comfortable in
that weather even without the AC running. When it does run, it's not
much.
And, best of all, when there's a blanket of snow on the roof, there
are no hot spots where I see more melting than in other spots, no ice
dams.
I'm sure the various roofing people are going to suggest a vent along
the peak. Since everything's working nicely as is, is there any good
reason to consider the extra expense?

While I tend to believe it is difficult to have too much venting, I
suggest leaving it alone UNLESS: the existing vents fail to meet the local
standards for venting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit