Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mermaid shower panels or an alternative ?

From the search function it looks like the last post on this was quite
awhile ago so I hope you don't mind if I ask again on a similar theme.
We are thinking of using Mermaid panels in a quadrant shower enclosure.
Is the opinion still the same regarding quality- Mermaid are a good
product ?
And how do they actually fasten to the wall ? The old tiles will be
removed so it's likely that it will be somewhat 'rough'. Are mermaid
glued to the wall and then have the edging and corner trims clicked in
+ sealant, to make it watertight. The panel would be a 900mm size. The
walls are not square to each other either ( old cottage) .

Is there an alternative to compare them to, another manufacturer ?

Thanks

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 12:55 pm, "Brian" wrote:
From the search function it looks like the last post on this was quiteawhile ago so I hope you don't mind if I ask again on a similar theme.

We are thinking of using Mermaid panels in a quadrant shower enclosure.
Is the opinion still the same regarding quality- Mermaid are a good
product ?
And how do they actually fasten to the wall ? The old tiles will be
removed so it's likely that it will be somewhat 'rough'. Are mermaid
glued to the wall and then have the edging and corner trims clicked in
+ sealant, to make it watertight. The panel would be a 900mm size. The
walls are not square to each other either ( old cottage) .

Is there an alternative to compare them to, another manufacturer ?

Thanks

Brian

They glue on as you say, but the trims can be screwed in place throuh
the back edge as well as sealanted. Rough walls are fine, you'll just
need thicker blobs of glue. The internal corner trim can cope with a
fair bit of off squareness.

I use Grant Westfield Multi-panel panels - very similar, but cheaper (I
have a trade account which helps). Mermaid have a wider range of
colours and styles, so it depends what you're looking for.