Junior Member

Default Regulations

Hi I'm new to the forum and hope you can provide advice.

I recently moved to a house with a Worcester 280 Combi boiler.

The heating is proving difficult to control as it relies on thermostatic radiator valves and no room stat is fitted. Seems pretty expensive too as the boiler runs much more than it needs to.

Anyway, can I fit a room stat myself (the job seems straightfoward and there is provision on the control board by removing a wire link and wiring the stat in), or do I need to get an approved person to do the work? Part L seems to refer to new installations.

As there will be mains power to the stat, is this classed as a new installation under part P of building regs?

Many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony 9-5 wrote:

Anyway, can I fit a room stat myself (the job seems straightfoward and
there is provision on the control board by removing a wire link and
wiring the stat in),

Its easy to do.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony 9-5 wrote:

Hi I'm new to the forum and hope you can provide advice.

This is a newsgroup, despite what diybanter would have you believe.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:37:01 +0000, Tony 9-5 wrote:

Anyway, can I fit a room stat myself (the job seems straightfoward and
there is provision on the control board by removing a wire link and
wiring the stat in), or do I need to get an approved person to do the
work? Part L seems to refer to new installations.

As there will be mains power to the stat, is this classed as a new
installation under part P of building regs?

Yes central heating controls are notifiable under part P.

In practice it's most unlikely there would be any repercussions to simply
ignoring the regs and DIY-ing it (assuming you wire it up safely
and correctly), unlike say replacing a CU or rewiring a house which might
attract attention and awkward questions when you came to sell.

As to the type of stat you might consider a programmable thermostat which
lets you vary the temperature at different times of day and days of week
e.g. warmer in evening than daytime, cool but not off if it gets really
cold in the night. The Honeywell CM907s (at about £45 from Heating
Controls Online) are the user-friendliest I've found, although the larger
Horstmann one from Screwfix is not bad for about £30. Honeywell also do
wireless versions of the CM907 for about £90-100 which allow you to
position the sensor/control box in the best place regardless of cable
runs. They also do 1-day versions of the CM907s called CM901s and screwfix
do the wired version of this for about £43.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:39:06 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

[...]

The Hosrtmann wireless for about £70 form screwfix is a good unit and can
save a lot of wiring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony 9-5 wrote:

Hi I'm new to the forum and hope you can provide advice.

I recently moved to a house with a Worcester 280 Combi boiler.

The heating is proving difficult to control as it relies on
thermostatic radiator valves and no room stat is fitted. Seems pretty
expensive too as the boiler runs much more than it needs to.

A programmable room stat would be a good choice. It will take the place
not only of a stat, but does the job of timer as well.

Anyway, can I fit a room stat myself (the job seems straightfoward and
there is provision on the control board by removing a wire link and
wiring the stat in), or do I need to get an approved person to do the
work? Part L seems to refer to new installations.

Part L would probably require that a stat be fitted should the boiler
get replaced... Not sure if there is an impact on an existing install

As there will be mains power to the stat, is this classed as a new
installation under part P of building regs?

It probably is notifiable under part P. However this is one of those
cases where "doing the right thing" (i.e. paying a building notice fee
etc) will make a very significant addition to the cost (i.e. more than
the cost of the stat), and will bring no dicernable benefit to anyone
that I can see.

--
Cheers,

John.

Corgi Regulations.... Clint Sharp UK diy 26 August 23rd 06 02:28 PM
Conservitaries and regulations none UK diy 3 June 6th 06 04:19 PM
Regulations alexbartman UK diy 16 March 3rd 05 10:39 PM
New electrical regulations Fred UK diy 8 December 31st 04 11:52 AM
heating regulations Peter Smithson UK diy 17 September 13th 04 01:49 PM