Fred

Default New electrical regulations

Stories on the BBC today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133859.stm)
about new electrical regulations saying that you won't be able to do much
more DIY than replace a plug socket without some sort of approval. Anyone
know any more specific details? - the links they give are a bit crap as the
DTI website is immense.

I want to move a towel rail socket from the bathroom up into the loft where
it will be a standard plug socket. Would that need approval? Who from?

TIA, Fred

Mark Carver

Fred wrote:
Stories on the BBC today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133859.stm)
about new electrical regulations saying that you won't be able to do much
more DIY than replace a plug socket without some sort of approval. Anyone
know any more specific details? -

Part P. It's had 432 mentions in here

See
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rch+this+group

Fred

"Fred" wrote in message
Stories on the BBC today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133859.stm)
about new electrical regulations saying that you won't be able to do much
more DIY than replace a plug socket without some sort of approval. Anyone
know any more specific details? - the links they give are a bit crap as

the
DTI website is immense.

I want to move a towel rail socket from the bathroom up into the loft

where
it will be a standard plug socket. Would that need approval? Who from?

TIA, Fred

It hasn't been defined what is regarded as what is still "allowed". Once
you say minor alterations can be made such as replacing an outlet, what
next, adding a spur? Does the addition of an RCD count as minor or must the
inclusion of this be delayed until more major works are required. Again if
including an RCD is allowed can this stretch to a consumer unit?

There are many electricians who are registering but yet have no formal
qualifications. It's all a mess and all the relevant courses, as one would
expect, are full for many months.

Welcome nanny state.

Fred"2"

Mike Harrison

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:09:04 GMT, "Fred" wrote:

Stories on the BBC today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133859.stm)
about new electrical regulations saying that you won't be able to do much
more DIY than replace a plug socket without some sort of approval. Anyone
know any more specific details? - the links they give are a bit crap as the
DTI website is immense.

I want to move a towel rail socket from the bathroom up into the loft where
it will be a standard plug socket. Would that need approval? Who from?

TIA, Fred

Just do it. Ignore this nonsense. Nobody will be able to prove you did anything illegal.

TonyK

"Fred" wrote in message
Stories on the BBC today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133859.stm)
about new electrical regulations saying that you won't be able to do much
more DIY than replace a plug socket without some sort of approval. Anyone
know any more specific details? - the links they give are a bit crap as

the
DTI website is immense.

I want to move a towel rail socket from the bathroom up into the loft

where
it will be a standard plug socket. Would that need approval? Who from?

TIA, Fred

try

http://www.partp.co.uk/download.asp

Owain

"Fred" wrote
| It hasn't been defined what is regarded as what is still "allowed".

It has mostly, look through Building Regs and then electrical on
www.odpm.gov.uk

Contrary to the impression that may be given, DIY work remains legal. What
is required is that a building warrant is obtained from building control.
This is exactly the same as applies to, eg, putting in replacement windows.

| There are many electricians who are registering but yet have no formal
| qualifications. It's all a mess and all the relevant courses, as one
| would expect, are full for many months.

They don't have to have qualifications. That's not the point. Only one
person in a NICEIC registered firm has to have qualifications.

Owain

Fred

"Owain" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote
| It hasn't been defined what is regarded as what is still "allowed".

It has mostly, look through Building Regs and then electrical on
www.odpm.gov.uk

Contrary to the impression that may be given, DIY work remains legal. What
is required is that a building warrant is obtained from building control.
This is exactly the same as applies to, eg, putting in replacement

windows.

| There are many electricians who are registering but yet have no formal
| qualifications. It's all a mess and all the relevant courses, as one
| would expect, are full for many months.

They don't have to have qualifications. That's not the point. Only one
person in a NICEIC registered firm has to have qualifications.

Owain

I accept a building warrant is a proposed solution but dislike the cost or
tax implication for DIYers particularly when this may postpone the fitting
of a safety device.

I'm certain only a registered person is allowed to inspect and give a
certificate. You are correct that anyone may carry out the actual work but
only the registered person may issue the certificate and make the final
connection. A bit like professionals working with gas.

Stefek Zaba

Fred wrote:

I'm certain only a registered person is allowed to inspect and give a
certificate. You are correct that anyone may carry out the actual work but
only the registered person may issue the certificate and make the final
connection. A bit like professionals working with gas.

Fred -

you can be as certain as you like, and act upon your certainty.

Others will bother to read up on the facts of the new regulations, and
read around a little more widely, and discover that (a) local
authorities are all at sea over who can issue appropriate certs, and (b)
that in fact any monkey employed by any outfit where a single employee
is a member of an Appropriate Body gets their work considered Approved.
Brilliant, eh?
Owain

"Fred" wrote
| Contrary to the impression that may be given, DIY work remains legal.
| What is required is that a building warrant is obtained from building
control.
| This is exactly the same as applies to, eg, putting in replacement
| windows.
| I'm certain only a registered person is allowed to inspect and give a
| certificate. You are correct that anyone may carry out the actual work
but
| only the registered person may issue the certificate and make the final
| connection.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

This has *nothing* to do with certificates for wiring.

Anyone can issue a Design/Inspection/Test certificate for electrical wiring.
Preferably, they should be competent to do so (have the appropriate C&G
certificate) and be covered by professional indemnity insurance.

However that certificate is irrelevant under Part P. Whether or not a
certificate is issued, if the work is not carried out by a contractor who is
a member of one of the self-certification organisations, then an application
to Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations must be made.
Building Control will not necessarily issue a BS7671 certificate; they will
issue a Building Regs approval certificate (building warrant).

| A bit like professionals working with gas.

Wrong again. Any 'professional' (i.e. in the course of business, which would
usually equate to financial gain) working with gas MUST have current CORGI
membership for the class of work undertaken.

Owain