Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting architrave

Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill and plug
the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"R D S" wrote in message
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill and
plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

When i fitted a new door opening i tried tacking the architrave at first but
i didn't think it was secure enough, i found a combination of tacks and grab
adhesive to be best solution. But the walls were brand new and flush.....
hope this helps.

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill and
plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Grab adhesive and "Quick Clamps"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill and plug
the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Gripfill :-) once its gone off you'd have to pull chunks of the wall
off if you wanted to remove them !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

tack it to the casing - it's there for decorative purposes only and doesn't
need to be solid...fixing it to the casing minimises gaps when the timber
dries / shrinks / both - if it's fixed to the wall, expect gaps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Tack it to the door frame. If it's narrow, it will only *just* overlap the
brick/plaster - so there's no scope for fixing to that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
R D S wrote:

Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Tack it to the door frame. If it's narrow, it will only *just* overlap the
brick/plaster - so there's no scope for fixing to that.

Most architrave is 2-3" wide. Gripfil gives you time to line up the
mitres properly. I can't see that any other fixing is required
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
R D S wrote:

Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Tack it to the door frame. If it's narrow, it will only *just*
overlap the brick/plaster - so there's no scope for fixing to that.

Most architrave is 2-3" wide. Gripfil gives you time to line up the
mitres properly. I can't see that any other fixing is required

3" is bl**dy wide for architrave - my skirting boards are only 3"!

Most of the acrchitraves in my house are a bit under 1 1/4" so, when fitted
to a 1" wide frame 1/4" back from the inner edge, there is about 3/4" on the
frame and 1/2" extending over the frame/plaster joint. There's no problem
lining up the mitres - just fit the verticals before cutting the mitres on
the horizontal bit at the top.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

R D S wrote:
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

tack it to the casing - it's there for decorative purposes only and doesn't
need to be solid...fixing it to the casing minimises gaps when the timber
dries / shrinks / both - if it's fixed to the wall, expect gaps

I've seen a home gym apparatus that clamps onto the architrave and is
designed to hold an adult's weight.
Let alone how much you will weigh with all those extra stones of muscle
they promise !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Phil L wrote:

R D S wrote:
Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill
and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

tack it to the casing - it's there for decorative purposes only and
doesn't need to be solid...fixing it to the casing minimises gaps
when the timber dries / shrinks / both - if it's fixed to the wall,
expect gaps

I've seen a home gym apparatus that clamps onto the architrave and is
designed to hold an adult's weight.
Let alone how much you will weigh with all those extra stones of
muscle they promise !
Simon.

If it clamps right through the doorway onto the architrave both sides it
should be ok.

If it only clamps to *one* piece of architrave I wouldn't fancy it -
*however* the architrave is attacked to the frame!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
R D S wrote:

[...]

my architrave is 3" taurus to mate with the 6" taurus skirtings.

Laminate flooring under door architrave J C C UK diy 2 December 19th 06 01:33 PM
2 gang architrave blanking plate [email protected] UK diy 1 August 22nd 05 03:10 PM
Victorian Architrave Martin UK diy 4 January 31st 05 01:49 PM
Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type Tony Collins UK diy 5 November 27th 04 01:12 PM
Laminate Floor and Architrave Question John Kelly UK diy 4 October 3rd 04 12:49 AM