Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rusting cur nails on skirting board

Can anyone suggest the best way of sealing in rust stains from cut
nails that were used to fix the skirting in my 30 year old house?

Cannot remove them without messing up the surface of the skirting. The
nails got slightly damp at some time.

I wish to repaint the skirting but the rust marks always seem to come
back after a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Merryterry" wrote:
Can anyone suggest the best way of sealing in rust stains from cut
nails that were used to fix the skirting in my 30 year old house?

Cannot remove them without messing up the surface of the skirting. The
nails got slightly damp at some time.

I wish to repaint the skirting but the rust marks always seem to come
back after a while.

Drill down about half a centimetre, apply a rust killer such as Jenolite,
leave to cure, fill with putty, leave to skin over, rub down, then paint
over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best way of sealing in rust stains from cut
nails that were used to fix the skirting in my 30 year old house?

Scrub off what you can, then apply shellac knotting to seal. "Knotting"
is just low-grade shellac - always handy stuff to use as a sealer over
anything a bit grotty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
Merryterry wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best way of sealing in rust stains from cut
nails that were used to fix the skirting in my 30 year old house?

Scrub off what you can, then apply shellac knotting to seal. "Knotting"
is just low-grade shellac - always handy stuff to use as a sealer over
anything a bit grotty.

Just use any old oil paint you have lying around. Shellac isn't all that
water resistant

should roofing nails be rusting this fast??? higgins Home Repair 20 October 1st 06 02:35 AM
Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board clips - no screws, nails or glue Cordless Crazy UK diy 3 February 17th 06 10:01 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
No nails adhesive & skirting Bazza UK diy 20 June 3rd 05 06:51 PM