Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raising Bathroom floor on existing joists and floorboards

We have just stripped out our old exisiting bath suite. (All was leaking).
We are rearranging the location of bath, sink and loo to accomodate new
suite.

The bathroom is quite small, and to be able to hide soil, waste and copper
pipes the walls would need to be built out.

If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes.
(The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath suite had a
cast iron bath, so can take weight.)

How do we do this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 02:16:39 +0800 Lisa Bates wrote :
If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes.
(The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath
suite had a cast iron bath, so can take weight.)

How do we do this?

The easiest way will be to fix some bearers, say 50x75, across the
existing joists (i.e following the line of the floorboards) at
900-1200c/s and then 50x100 joists above them at right angles. You
can then run pipes under the floor in either direction without
notching. Finish with moisture resisting chipboard or ply.

If you need to lose a WC branch within the floor adjust the sizes
accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:47:07 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

|On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 02:16:39 +0800 Lisa Bates wrote :
| If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes.
| (The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath
| suite had a cast iron bath, so can take weight.)
|
| How do we do this?
|
|The easiest way will be to fix some bearers, say 50x75, across the
|existing joists (i.e following the line of the floorboards) at
|900-1200c/s and then 50x100 joists above them at right angles. You
|can then run pipes under the floor in either direction without
|notching. Finish with moisture resisting chipboard or ply.
|
|If you need to lose a WC branch within the floor adjust the sizes
|accordingly.

But remember that there are limits to the height of a step you can have.
Can't remember offhand if 8 inches is within the limit, but I think it must
be as my domestic steps are 8 inches, but check when you have full
drawings/details of the step.
Also you must leave a certain height of ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:58:12 +0000 Dave Fawthrop wrote :
But remember that there are limits to the height of a step you can have.
Can't remember offhand if 8 inches is within the limit, but I think it
must be as my domestic steps are 8 inches, but check when you have full
drawings/details of the step.

220mm used to be the maximum rise

Also you must leave a certain height of ceiling.

No that no longer applies. But equally from a practical pov you do want to
make sure that you can stand up in the bath and walk under light fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you very much your info. was very helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you to, will bear all of your points in mind.

Wish me Luck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lisa Bates wrote:
We have just stripped out our old exisiting bath suite. (All was leaking).
We are rearranging the location of bath, sink and loo to accomodate new
suite.

The bathroom is quite small, and to be able to hide soil, waste and copper
pipes the walls would need to be built out.

If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes.
(The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath suite had a
cast iron bath, so can take weight.)

How do we do this?

? just shove some new joists across the old and get flooring ?

You DO understand about plumbing 'falls' and so on don't you..relocating
a toilet is NON trivial to say the least.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yes, I do, thank you for your valuable coment!

Can you use adhesives to fix floorboards to joists? dairich UK diy 9 September 17th 06 05:56 PM
Raising Roof Joists for Loft Flooring Dave Page UK diy 34 March 23rd 06 10:58 PM
raising floor level nafuk UK diy 1 March 11th 06 05:04 PM
Supporting existing joists! andymason79 UK diy 21 October 30th 05 11:35 AM
wooden floorboards in bathroom Donald UK diy 0 July 21st 03 02:37 PM