Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you use adhesives to fix floorboards to joists?

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason? Coupled with hidden screws
this would give a neat job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 03:22:59 -0700, dairich wrote:

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason? Coupled with hidden screws
this would give a neat job.

The forces required to keep a board against another board and correct for
inevitably untrue timber coupled with the forces occuring due to natural
contraction expansion of the timber are just to great for glue. Nails or
screw should be used of sufficient gauge and depth, and these are quite
substantial.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dairich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason? Coupled with hidden screws
this would give a neat job.

===========================
If appearance is important you can use the hidden nailing method with T&G
flooring.

Cic.

It has removed 470 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep 2006 03:22:59 -0700, "dairich" wrote:

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason?

Yes. Only a lunatic would glue floorboards down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On 15 Sep 2006 03:22:59 -0700, "dairich" wrote:

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason?

Yes. Only a lunatic would glue floorboards down.

Can you be more specific. Is the problem in the traffic or the
brittleness of old glue joints? There are flexible adhesives being used
in many situations where they would have been dismissed years ago. I
screwed & glued legs on a table 20 years ago & they are still solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The joists and flooring together function as a structural component.
It's important that they're well coupled to each other, i.e. where
every board crosses every joist.

Glue can produce strong joints where the joint is clamped up firmly.
"Glue bridges" as would inevitably happen with the variable gaps
between joists and boards, are not strong.

I screwed & glued legs on a table 20 years ago & they are still solid.

Exactly, tightly mechanically coupled joint + glue = strong joint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep 2006 08:25:44 -0700, "dairich" wrote:

EricP wrote:
On 15 Sep 2006 03:22:59 -0700, "dairich" wrote:

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason?

Yes. Only a lunatic would glue floorboards down.

Can you be more specific. Is the problem in the traffic or the
brittleness of old glue joints? There are flexible adhesives being used
in many situations where they would have been dismissed years ago.

screwed & glued legs on a table 20 years ago & they are still solid.

The important part being "screwed AND glued "
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:31:05 GMT, "Cicero" wrote:

"dairich" wrote in message
roups.com...
I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing
floorboards to joists. Is there a reason? Coupled with hidden screws
this would give a neat job.

===========================
If appearance is important you can use the hidden nailing method with T&G
flooring.

Cic.

Although if buying shed boards be careful .The ones I got from Wickes to put
under my bath said they could not be "secret nailed" .Not sure why .Maybe
because they weren't as thick as timber merchants boards or maybe the
tongue/grooves werent in the centre of the board .I've no idea

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote in
:

EricP wrote:
On 15 Sep 2006 03:22:59 -0700, "dairich"
wrote:

I remember visiting a friend who had just finished building his own
house in wales and was enjoyng his recently installed central heating.

All of a sudden there was a loud bang on investigation it was found that
his ledge and braced doors which he had lovingly glued together had
split in two right down the centre board.

There had been no where for them to adjust to the drying atmosphere. the
stress must have been phenominal
Chris