Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Tone Tracer

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Osprey" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

For something a bit cheaper you could try http://tinyurl.com/yfulhx (goes to
ebay) or this http://tinyurl.com/yzu47o (ebay again). Other than that, try a
surplus store or a (ham) radio rally for ex-BT equipment.

JellyBelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Osprey wrote:

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

NT

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for
instructions or some sort of help with making one )

JB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JellyBelly wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Osprey wrote:

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for
instructions or some sort of help with making one )

I didnt see anything indicating wilingness to make one. I assumed OP
was looking for another way to do it, but either might be correct.
Which is why i begged the question.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JellyBelly wrote:
wrote in message

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

NT

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for
instructions or some sort of help with making one )

I would be happy to make one if someone has such a circuit.
Assume I would need a High Frequency transmitter, 300Khz they seem to
work at .. and a separate induction pick up, which could possibly be a
tuned aerial, a circuit to convert this signal to an audible one, and
amp to drive a speaker.
Now if someone happens to have such a circuit - I'd give it a go ....
veroboard & components no problem, but don't want to get into PCB
drafting & etching.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"JellyBelly" writes:
For something a bit cheaper you could try http://tinyurl.com/yfulhx (goes to
ebay) or this http://tinyurl.com/yzu47o (ebay again). Other than that, try a
surplus store or a (ham) radio rally for ex-BT equipment.

Occasionally, I have seen them at computer fairs, second hand.
I picked up a PTS100 for £10 that way about 10 years ago,
and it's been invaluable for various bits of data/voice cabling
I've done (and just occasionally on mains cables too, when not
connected to the mains;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Slightly cheaper:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=IN04456

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

Not really... at least not a non contact version.

The one I use is:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=IN02109

Works well enough, and as you say it can save hours. Especially wwhen
you are working on kit that was installed badly in the first place with
nothing labled!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jan 2007 08:08:33 -0800, Osprey wrote:

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ...

Have a look to see what CPC have. Fairly sure they have one or three
cheaper than that (but not a lot).

£54.64 inc VAT still to much?
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=IN04456

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey expressed precisely :
JellyBelly wrote:
wrote in message

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

NT

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for
instructions or some sort of help with making one )

I would be happy to make one if someone has such a circuit.
Assume I would need a High Frequency transmitter, 300Khz they seem to
work at .. and a separate induction pick up, which could possibly be a
tuned aerial, a circuit to convert this signal to an audible one, and
amp to drive a speaker.
Now if someone happens to have such a circuit - I'd give it a go ....
veroboard & components no problem, but don't want to get into PCB
drafting & etching.

Look up a 555 timer IC oscillator circuit. From memory they will easily
run up to 300Khz, then just connect your cable to the 555's output.
Trace it with a small radio tuned to 300khz.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield presented the following explanation :
Look up a 555 timer IC oscillator circuit. From memory they will easily run
up to 300Khz, then just connect your cable to the 555's output. Trace it with
a small radio tuned to 300khz.

http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...1-en-NE555.pdf

Only upto 100KhZ, sorry.