Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Tone Tracer

JellyBelly wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Osprey wrote:

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for
instructions or some sort of help with making one )

I didnt see anything indicating wilingness to make one. I assumed OP
was looking for another way to do it, but either might be correct.
Which is why i begged the question.

NT