Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey Osprey is offline

Default Cable Tone Tracer

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug
'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms
room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass
it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable -
without terminating or stripping back to the cores.
i.e. continuity testing without metallic access.
such as:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/t...100/index.html

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be
useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of
fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.