Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gaffer / Duct / Electrical tape

IME this sort of tape varies lots in how sticky it is. The
not-very-sticky type is no use for me eg Jewsons own brand so I'm
looking at the Screwfix catalogue

Has anyone used 14470 unbranded?

There are three types of Duck tape. IME this is a good brand of
properly sticky tape but which one to choose?

24428 Duck cloth tape
84740 Duck power tape

Hey wow I must think up a use for 58451 fluorescent orange

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-02, Anna Kettle wrote:
IME this sort of tape varies lots in how sticky it is. The
not-very-sticky type is no use for me eg Jewsons own brand so I'm
looking at the Screwfix catalogue

Has anyone used 14470 unbranded?

Hmmm. I use duct tape to hold the numbers on the side of my race
car;

http://www.borough19motorclub.co.uk/img281.jpg

There are three types of Duck tape. IME this is a good brand of
properly sticky tape but which one to choose?

24428 Duck cloth tape
84740 Duck power tape

Can't help there, sorry, except the latter says it's waterproof. The
SF own brand certainly isn't (as I found when trying to patch my
inflatable swimming pool this summer.)

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various bits on
her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can see (she's
on the far left ;-) :
http://img.photojerk.com/jcFlEWzJ.JPG

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jan 2007 16:31:16 GMT, Huge wrote:

I won't be buying any more of the unbranded. Duck tape it is.

Would you not be better off with carpet tape (double sided fibre
reinforced)? That's what I've used to stick things to the side of cars
before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

IME this sort of tape varies lots in how sticky it is. The
not-very-sticky type is no use for me eg Jewsons own brand so I'm
looking at the Screwfix catalogue

Has anyone used 14470 unbranded?

There are three types of Duck tape. IME this is a good brand of
properly sticky tape but which one to choose?

24428 Duck cloth tape
84740 Duck power tape

Hey wow I must think up a use for 58451 fluorescent orange

I use TLC Gaffa tape for most jobs - very sticky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:
Anna Kettle wrote:

IME this sort of tape varies lots in how sticky it is. The
not-very-sticky type is no use for me eg Jewsons own brand so I'm
looking at the Screwfix catalogue

Has anyone used 14470 unbranded?

There are three types of Duck tape. IME this is a good brand of
properly sticky tape but which one to choose?

24428 Duck cloth tape
84740 Duck power tape

Hey wow I must think up a use for 58451 fluorescent orange

I use TLC Gaffa tape for most jobs - very sticky.

If you're using it to wrap around something like to insulate wires then
self-amalgamating tape is the best. (but it's absolutely no use for
sticking flat on a surface).
AL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Hmmm. I use duct tape to hold the numbers on the side of my race
car;

http://www.borough19motorclub.co.uk/img281.jpg

Drooooool.......

Best I ever managed was a couple of MkII Escort grass-track cars, but I'll
never forget the visceral joy of racing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various bits
on her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can see
(she's on the far left ;-) :
http://img.photojerk.com/jcFlEWzJ.JPG

Nice looking girl Dave.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Huge wrote:
On 2007-01-02, Anna Kettle wrote:
[...]

Apollo 13 used it to hold on to life for a few long days, sorry ... no
photos

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 17:47:19 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various bits on
her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can see (she's
on the far left ;-) :

I hate to tell you, but your daughter looks like a buoy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 17:47:19 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various
bits on her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can
see (she's on the far left ;-) :

I hate to tell you, but your daughter looks like a buoy.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! Brilliant - wish I'd thought of that!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:47:01 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

ROFLMAO

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various bits on
her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can see (she's
on the far left ;-) :
http://img.photojerk.com/jcFlEWzJ.JPG

Is that the one that's sinking?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Firth
saying something like:

I hate to tell you, but your daughter looks like a buoy.

On a related note, does anybody else get irritated by the Hollywood
habit of pronouncing the 'u' in buoy? Actully, the 'o' gets dropped and
it comes out like 'buey', like Buick without the end.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Firth
saying something like:

I hate to tell you, but your daughter looks like a buoy.

On a related note, does anybody else get irritated by the Hollywood
habit of pronouncing the 'u' in buoy? Actully, the 'o' gets dropped and
it comes out like 'buey', like Buick without the end.

I get annoyed by their pronunciation of route as "rowt" instead of
"root"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
I get annoyed by their pronunciation of route as "rowt" instead of "root"

Maybe it's to avoid offence to those that take the meaning of root to
have ladies and gentlemen relations under the consent of the king or
such malarkey ...

But the yanks do pronounce "Route 66" correctly ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
raden wrote:

But the yanks do pronounce "Route 66" correctly ;-)

They do, don't they? Why the hell is that?

On a slightly separate note I read somewhere recently that the
language/accent spoken by the Pilgrim Fathers (ie native Brits) was much
closer to what the Americans speak nowadays than to modern-day British
English. I don't know whether that's true, or more to the point, who
smuggled a tape recorder aboard the Mayflower...

David