Posted to uk.d-i-y
Anna Kettle

Default Gaffer tape for warts

From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Anna

--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Anna Kettle wrote:
Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

They don't like deing denied air, that's for sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:35:52 -0000, Anna Kettle
wrote:

From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Anna

I understand the best thing is to constantly rub them with the inside
of a pea pod. Certainly something in that.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Anna

It sometimes works. Glacial acetic acid always works.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

All Doctors know about the placebo effect.

| Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
| weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
| like

These are all innumerable folk customs to "charm" away warts.
Non of them work, but warts go away naturally after some time, except
varucas.
--
Dave Fawthrop hyphen Hyphenologist.co.uk Register your mobile phone
IMEI *free* on http://www.menduk.org/. Keep the username and password.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

I just had what the Doc termed a soft wart removed.
The practise runs a monthly Cryo clinic .... so booked in, and it took
of a minute ... he just sprayed on some liquid Nitrogen ... wart died
and fell off a few days, free, simple & painless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:35:52 -0000, Anna Kettle
wrote:

From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Worked for my grand-daughter too on the advice of clinic's nurse.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Rick wrote:
I just had what the Doc termed a soft wart removed.
The practise runs a monthly Cryo clinic .... so booked in, and it took
of a minute ... he just sprayed on some liquid Nitrogen ... wart died
and fell off a few days, free, simple & painless.

As it's a DIY group, I'll give my DIY method for effectively removing
warts....

Go to Maplins (etc) buy a can of Freezer Spray (for cooling suspect IC's
to find the faulty one) then, very carefully, press the top of the
aerosol to allow the liquid "stuff" to run down the delivery tube and
drop-by-drop allow the liquid to land on the wart and boil away.

Keep applying untill the wart is frozen but stop before the surrounding
skin becomes too frozen.

Repeat daily as required.

NOTE - a gently touch is required or you end up squirting the stuff all
over your hand which is a bit stupid.

Far more convienient than finding time to go to the doctors.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

AnthonyL wrote:

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Worked for my grand-daughter too on the advice of clinic's nurse.

Our little chap has 2 verrucae I will try it as the chemist said
bazooka (or whatever) can't be used on infants.

I am presuming "gaffa tape" is that silver/grey coloured waterproof
"sticks to anything" tape also branded as "ducktape" ?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , PeTe33
@gymratz.co.uk says...
Rick wrote:
I just had what the Doc termed a soft wart removed.
The practise runs a monthly Cryo clinic .... so booked in, and it took
of a minute ... he just sprayed on some liquid Nitrogen ... wart died
and fell off a few days, free, simple & painless.

As it's a DIY group, I'll give my DIY method for effectively removing
warts....

Go to Maplins (etc) buy a can of Freezer Spray

snip

I reckon pliers or a soldering iron would be a lot quicker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Nelson

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_=3B=AC=29=2 2?= writes:
AnthonyL wrote:

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

Worked for my grand-daughter too on the advice of clinic's nurse.

Our little chap has 2 verrucae I will try it as the chemist said
bazooka (or whatever) can't be used on infants.

I am presuming "gaffa tape" is that silver/grey coloured waterproof
"sticks to anything" tape also branded as "ducktape" ?

Doctor here specifically said `Duck Tape'---took me a while to find it,
but Homebase had some.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

Alternatively go to the chemist and buy the proper Wartner wart
freezing kit . Far more convenient than finding a Maplin shop, and far
less fiddly than your method.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

wrote:

Alternatively go to the chemist and buy the proper Wartner wart
freezing kit . Far more convenient than finding a Maplin shop, and far
less fiddly than your method.

Doh.
There's always got to be some company somewhere that spoils the element
of inginuity for profit.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Sam Nelson wrote:

Doctor here specifically said `Duck Tape'---took me a while to find it,
but Homebase had some.

So "Duct Ape" might not work as well..... ?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:
Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

So whats to stop you using "ice cubes",?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Anna Kettle wrote:
From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

First search turned up this
http://www.jyi.org/volumes/volume7/i...demichele.html

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

If I get a wart, I burn it out with a 5mm tip soldering iron. That works
every time. It stings a bit, but if you get it right, the wart insulates you
from any real pain.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:59:56 -0000, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

| "Anna Kettle" wrote in message
| From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...
|
| Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
| weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
| like
|
| If I get a wart, I burn it out with a 5mm tip soldering iron. That works
| every time. It stings a bit, but if you get it right, the wart insulates you
| from any real pain.

Beware, I inadvertently walked backward into a soldering iron and
burned my leg. No problem, I put an elastoplast on it and it healed,
but with a raised scar. 20 years later it started itching, so off to
the doctor, who sent me to hospital using a *red* form. Month later
I got an appointment and they said "it has been there too long, we
will have it off". Three weeks later they took it out together with a
*large* chunk of skin. Another appointment and they said "The path
lab report says Precancerous changes, if you had waited another five
years you would have been in deep trouble" I gave a deep sigh of
relief :-) No problems since :-)
--
Dave Fawthrop hyphen Hyphenologist.co.uk Register your mobile phone
IMEI *free* on http://www.menduk.org/. Keep the username and password.
If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully
get it back report on http://www.menduk.org/ or 08701 123 123.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

surname here.uk.com wrote:

| "Anna Kettle" wrote in message
| From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...
|
| Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
| weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
| like
|
| If I get a wart, I burn it out with a 5mm tip soldering iron. That works
| every time. It stings a bit, but if you get it right, the wart insulates
you
| from any real pain.

Beware, I inadvertently walked backward into a soldering iron and
burned my leg. No problem, I put an elastoplast on it and it healed,
but with a raised scar. 20 years later it started itching, so off to
the doctor, who sent me to hospital using a *red* form. Month later
I got an appointment and they said "it has been there too long, we
will have it off". Three weeks later they took it out together with a
*large* chunk of skin. Another appointment and they said "The path
lab report says Precancerous changes, if you had waited another five
years you would have been in deep trouble" I gave a deep sigh of
relief :-) No problems since :-)

Nasty, although all I do is to produce a small blister under the wart, which
lifts it off without any permanent scar.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Rick wrote:

he just sprayed on some liquid Nitrogen ... wart died
and fell off a few days, free, simple & painless.

Last time I went in for one that had got "agitated" the doc assured me
it getting inflamed wasn't anything to worry about then tied it off with
a very tight surgical knot, it stung a bit but dried up and fell off
just the same, he admitted he just wanted some knot practice ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Doctor here specifically said `Duck Tape'---took me a while to find it,
but Homebase had some.

So "Duct Ape" might not work as well..... ?

Duck tape is a brand.
Duct tape is similar to gaffer tape.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 20 Dec 2005 07:20:46 -0800, wrote:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

Doesn't work. I had three blackthorn splinters which kept some warts going
for a couple of years.

In desperation a couple of months bak I opened them up with a bloody
scalpel, (one of my aeromodelling sort) and eventually dug out two dust
specks of something black.

They SEEM to be going down and fading away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:59:56 -0000, nightjar wrote:

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
From the local doctor (tho via the local pub) ...

Charm away your warts with a bit of gaffer tape. Replace daily for two
weeks. Apparently there is some chemical in the glue that warts don't
like

If I get a wart, I burn it out with a 5mm tip soldering iron. That works
every time. It stings a bit, but if you get it right, the wart insulates you
from any real pain.

Colin Bignell

I'll remember that.

I used to use caustic pencils, but they banned them..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:59:56 -0000, nightjar wrote:

If I get a wart, I burn it out with a 5mm tip soldering iron. That works
every time. It stings a bit, but if you get it right, the wart insulates you
from any real pain.

I used to use caustic pencils, but they banned them..

I think you're all barking... as mad as Sir Ranulph "I amputated my own
fingers" Fiennes
(http://www.maxadventure.co.uk/exped_north9.htm)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

Works fine for me.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , says...
snip
Doesn't work. I had three blackthorn splinters which kept some warts going
for a couple of years.

In desperation a couple of months bak I opened them up with a bloody
scalpel, (one of my aeromodelling sort) and eventually dug out two dust
specks of something black.

I've had that with bits of swarf - I've found that if you can gently pry
the warty bit away from the surrounding skin for a few days it will
eventually stand out enough to rip it out by the root with tweezers.
Painful and bloody but it does the job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Rob Morley
writes
In article , says...
snip
Doesn't work. I had three blackthorn splinters which kept some warts going
for a couple of years.

In desperation a couple of months bak I opened them up with a bloody
scalpel, (one of my aeromodelling sort) and eventually dug out two dust
specks of something black.

I've had that with bits of swarf - I've found that if you can gently pry
the warty bit away from the surrounding skin for a few days it will
eventually stand out enough to rip it out by the root with tweezers.
Painful and bloody but it does the job.

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So "Duct Ape" might not work as well..... ?

Duck tape is a brand.
Duct tape is similar to gaffer tape.

Wooosh !

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:15:36 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....

There was that doctor who did a D-I-Y caesarean...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 21 Dec 2005 10:47:23 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:15:36 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....

There was that doctor who did a D-I-Y caesarean...

... not to mention what this guy did....

http://www.male-initiation.net/libra...ages/greg.html

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Nelson wrote:

Doctor here specifically said `Duck Tape'---took me a while to find it,
but Homebase had some.

So "Duct Ape" might not work as well..... ?

Or even `Ducked Ape'. I hadn't thought of that. Hmm.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Andy Hall wrote:
On 21 Dec 2005 10:47:23 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:15:36 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....

There was that doctor who did a D-I-Y caesarean...

.. not to mention what this guy did....

http://www.male-initiation.net/libra...ages/greg.html

Anyone else got two oval shaped bulges on either side of their neck,
after reading this?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 21 Dec 2005 02:06:06 -0800, wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20 Dec 2005 07:20:46 -0800,
wrote:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

Cant be proper warts then :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave
writes

wrote:

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....

There was that doctor who did a D-I-Y caesarean...

.. not to mention what this guy did....
http://www.male-initiation.net/libra...ages/greg.html

Anyone else got two oval shaped bulges on either side of their neck,
after reading this?

Strange place for testicles to reside !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

raden wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

On 21 Dec 2005 10:47:23 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:15:36 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone done a D-I-Y hip replacement or plastic surgery as yet;?.....

There was that doctor who did a D-I-Y caesarean...

.. not to mention what this guy did....
http://www.male-initiation.net/libra...ages/greg.html

Anyone else got two oval shaped bulges on either side of their neck,
after reading this?

Strange place for testicles to reside !

Shows how tight the muscles pulled :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger R

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in
message ...
Nasty, although all I do is to produce a small blister under the

wart, which
lifts it off without any permanent scar.

The thing is there are different kinds of warts:

The raised molehill kind ok for the soldering iron or freezer.
Those that grow thin and long and are suitable for tying off.
The flat red area kind that are really a lot of tiny dots that slowly
spread out and are only suitable for proper surgical removal.

Any more?

Roger