Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Rim Locks

Is it possible to get a rim lock that has more than 1 lever and if so, where
from. I checked Screwfix and Toolstation but alas no use.

Police advised me to change the one I have on my shed at the moment.

--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Take your pick from www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Rim_Lock_Index.html
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a rim lock that has more than 1 lever and if so,
where from. I checked Screwfix and Toolstation but alas no use.

Police advised me to change the one I have on my shed at the moment.

Wise advice, this is one of the few types of locks that can be opened by a
so called 'skeleton' key which can be made in minutes and which will open
any lock of that type.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a rim lock that has more than 1 lever and if so,
where from. I checked Screwfix and Toolstation but alas no use.

Police advised me to change the one I have on my shed at the moment.

Wise advice, this is one of the few types of locks that can be opened by a
so called 'skeleton' key which can be made in minutes and which will open
any lock of that type.

Come to think of it, why not fit a decent hasp and staple with a padlock,
generally unless it's a very substantial shed it's only a visual deterrant
anyway.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a rim lock that has more than 1 lever and if so,
where from. I checked Screwfix and Toolstation but alas no use.

Police advised me to change the one I have on my shed at the moment.

Wise advice, this is one of the few types of locks that can be opened by a
so called 'skeleton' key which can be made in minutes and which will open
any lock of that type.

There is no technical reason why a rim lock should be operable with just a
skeleton key.
I have certainly seen them with three levers, more if you include Yale rim
locks.
I wouldn't use one if it could be avoided as they are easy to access so can
be cut/drilled easier than a mortise lock.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a rim lock that has more than 1 lever and if so,
where from. I checked Screwfix and Toolstation but alas no use.

Police advised me to change the one I have on my shed at the moment.

Wise advice, this is one of the few types of locks that can be opened by a
so called 'skeleton' key which can be made in minutes and which will open
any lock of that type.

Nobody is going to use a skeleton key on a shed. The door is going to be
unlocked in the first place, or the intruder will use brute force to gain
access. Leave the rim lock and bolt a few planks on the door so that it
looks as if you have taken security really seriously. Any intruder is going
to whizz by, take a quick look and climb into your neighbours living room
through their open window...