Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Space for washing machine between cabinets

Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy a
new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

Jasp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jasper" wrote in message
Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy
a new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

IME getting it into a 600 mm gap is next to impossible.

I always make mine bigger.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Jasper" wrote:
Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy
a new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

Jasp

Standard width of washing machines is 600mm. You need a bit more wiggle room
than that. How about 620mm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jasper wrote:
Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy a
new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

I'd leave 20mm on each side for when the clothes machine gets excited
by that big towel wash!

We've recently moved house and pulled the old dishwasher out of it's
slot with a view to putting our much newer one in. Old dishwasher and
slot were 595mm wide while our newer dishwasher is 599mm wide. The
cabinets are so solid that the 4mm difference cannot be 'accomodated'.

We've ended up putting the dishwasher where the clothes machine was
and our clothes machine and condensing tumble dryer in the garage.

There is a couple of inches on either side of the dishwasher in the old
clothes machine slot as that's what the kitchen fitter allowed for.

We've put our recycling centre in the old dishwasher slot.

Also, our condensing tumble dryer loves being in the cold garage.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jasper wrote:
Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy a
new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

It's only important as a minimum space and for the seamless fitting of
false fronts to match cabinets. As long as you can get at the machinery
when it needs servicing or you want to get at something behind it any
space will do.

Make the most of any overall differences in wall dimensions to unit
dimensions to space them out as gainfully as possible. Most units come
just a little too small to fit most kitchens exactly. Most kitchens are
designed to take the cabinet sizes comfortably with just enough room to
allow the kitchen suppliers to sell you an end blank.

They never suggest spacing out the gaps in the units to cover it. But
do you want to have empty spaces between your units and your cleaning
machinery? It comes down to your taste in cosmetic features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for the advice.

It seems then that there isn't a 'correct' amount of space to leave, but
I've moved the cabinets over a bit to give about 620mm. (actually, it's a
bit less than that due to some dodgy measuring!) The washing machine doesn't
look so tight now and I'm not so worried about it shaking the kitchen to
pieces.

Thanks again.

Jasp

Washing Machine pauljfoster UK diy 6 September 25th 05 10:49 PM
Machine and Fab Shop Space Leased! Tod Engine Foundation Metalworking 2 May 3rd 04 03:39 AM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM
Washing machine help please. JhnWil875 Home Repair 1 March 2nd 04 03:50 PM
Washing Machine Tom J Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:43 PM