Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy Dawson Guy Dawson is offline

Default Space for washing machine between cabinets

Jasper wrote:
Is there a 'standard' amount of space that should be left between kitchen
cabinets for a free-standing washing machine?
I'm installing a new kitchen at the moment and have left a 600mm gap. The
washing machine I have at the moment fits snugly but I'm worried that it
might damage the cabinet run when on a fast spin cycle or that when I buy a
new washing machine there may not be enough room.
I'm at a stage where I can increase the gap reasonably easily if I must
rather than regret it later.

I'd leave 20mm on each side for when the clothes machine gets excited
by that big towel wash!

We've recently moved house and pulled the old dishwasher out of it's
slot with a view to putting our much newer one in. Old dishwasher and
slot were 595mm wide while our newer dishwasher is 599mm wide. The
cabinets are so solid that the 4mm difference cannot be 'accomodated'.

We've ended up putting the dishwasher where the clothes machine was
and our clothes machine and condensing tumble dryer in the garage.

There is a couple of inches on either side of the dishwasher in the old
clothes machine slot as that's what the kitchen fitter allowed for.

We've put our recycling centre in the old dishwasher slot.

Also, our condensing tumble dryer loves being in the cold garage.

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd