Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble dryer that senses dryness

Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im never
buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses that the
clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost through
householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience? Can
anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be economical?

cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27 16:09:19 +0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im
never buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses
that the clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost
through householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are
fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience?
Can anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be
economical?

cheers

Steve

I've had a Miele model that does this for well over ten years. It has
had no problems at all apart from the power switch which was damaged on
delivery. Clothes dryness is sensed and it switches off or turns down
the heat, reverting to an occasional turn of the clothes to avoid
creasing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27 16:09:19 +0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im
never buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses
that the clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost
through householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are
fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience?
Can anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be
economical?

cheers

Steve

I've had a Miele model that does this for well over ten years. It has
had no problems at all apart from the power switch which was damaged on
delivery. Clothes dryness is sensed and it switches off or turns down
the heat, reverting to an occasional turn of the clothes to avoid
creasing.

Bosch Logixx: 4 years and still doing good.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im never
buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses that the
clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost through
householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience? Can
anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be economical?

We have a Whirlpool with autosensor. It's not too bad... has several
'desired dryness' settings, ie 'Ready to Wear' 'Ready to Iron' etc but
tends to underestimate dryness, ie laundry is sometimes still very
slightly damp at the end of the cycle and needs a 20-min blast on
non-auto to finish off. I still reckon it spends a hell of lot less
time 'on' overall than our previous fixed-temperature model, though.

And (not unreasonably) it's hopeless if the load is mismatched; ie you
don't try to dry towels and sheets at the same time.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im never
buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses that the
clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost through
householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience? Can
anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be economical?

The sensors in our AEG failed after a couple of years. We carried on
using the ordinary timer - no problem, really. A few years later
something crucial failed and the while the engineer was fixing that he
replaced the sensors. They didn't last long.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27 16:09:19 +0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

[...]

Please can you say how long the occasional turn for anti-crease continues
for on your miele?
Our old Hotpoint continued indefinitely, which was great, the whirlpool we
replaced it with stops completely after an hour or so, which means creased
clothes by the time we get to it.

Mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27 21:52:17 +0000, "mrcheerful

On 2006-12-27 16:09:19 +0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

[...]

It runs indefinitely, I believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mrcheerful . wrote:

Please can you say how long the occasional turn for anti-crease continues
for on your miele?
Our old Hotpoint continued indefinitely, which was great, the whirlpool we
replaced it with stops completely after an hour or so, which means creased
clothes by the time we get to it.

My old hotpoint did creaseguard indefinitely, which was good (apart from
the beep you got unless you remembered to silence it) new hotpoint,
BWD129 IIRC, doesn't seem to have it at all, but does have dryness
sensor (iron/hanger/extra dry settings) as well as timer, seems ok, but
not had it for very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:

Our tumble dryer is on its way out (3 years old-crap Hoover model..im never
buying Hoover again!) Id like to replace it with one that senses that the
clothes are dry as i suspect loads of energy is commonly lost through
householders leaving their dryers on to ensure clothes are fully dry.

I've heard these sensors commonly fail..what's everyone's experience? Can
anyone recommend a decent dryer that is likely to last and be economical?

cheers

Steve

Good oportunity to replace it with something better. Humidistatic
dehumidifier in large wardrobe, you simply hang the clothes up straight
from the machine and they dry all by themselves. Less energy use, less
run cost, less space used up, less handling of the clothing etc
required

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mrcheerful . wrote:

Our old Hotpoint continued indefinitely, which was great, the whirlpool we
replaced it with stops completely after an hour or so, which means creased
clothes by the time we get to it.

Does your Whirlpool behave in the same manner to mine (see my other
post) with regards to not always drying completely (and we'd never use
anything but the 'ready-to-wear' setting) ?

Just interested, as I'm not sure whether my expectations are too high or
if I should have mine checked out while still under warranty!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
mrcheerful . wrote:

Our old Hotpoint continued indefinitely, which was great, the whirlpool
we replaced it with stops completely after an hour or so, which means
creased clothes by the time we get to it.

Does your Whirlpool behave in the same manner to mine (see my other post)
with regards to not always drying completely (and we'd never use anything
but the 'ready-to-wear' setting) ?

Just interested, as I'm not sure whether my expectations are too high or
if I should have mine checked out while still under warranty!

David

We always use the ready to wear setting. Generally we don't mix types of
washing, each load is pretty similar. Everything comes out dry, the only
thing that causes a difference is if the filter is blocked, filter clean
every use is essential, we have also found quite a lot of fluff gets past
the filter, on ours the filter is a slot in thing just inside the door, if
you take the filter out and look down you can usually find a whole heap of
fluff down there. A Hoover and a long cable tie usually get it all out.

On our old Hotpoint (God rest its departed soul) we once had the situation
that nothing was drying properly and fluff was coming out of every seam, it
took a lot of searching to discover a pair of knickers that had got past the
filter (it was the old type that lived at the back of the drum and could
fall off) The knickers were stuck in the corrugated pipe with a ball of
fluff round them, so no air could get past.

Mrcheerful

Help With Tumble Dryer Nigel Heather UK diy 9 January 10th 06 01:52 PM
Help with tumble dryer please Andrew Cosway UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 03:36 PM
Tumble Dryer Marsha UK diy 15 February 17th 05 02:00 PM
tumble dryer which? Janet Tweedy UK diy 13 February 17th 04 09:34 PM