Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealed power adaptors

I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which
can be opened to have a fuse changed.

The ones for our CHristmas tree lights seem to have blown a fuse, but
there's no way I can open it up to find out. And I can't even work out
whether its output is supposed to be 24V DC or AC - I presume the
latter.

How are these things sealed, with some sort of plastic cement that will
be impossible to break open?

Daniele
--
Do you have difficulty sleeping sometimes? Have you ever had a
restaurant meal that was unsatisfying and left you feeling a
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which
can be opened to have a fuse changed.

The ones for our CHristmas tree lights seem to have blown a fuse, but
there's no way I can open it up to find out. And I can't even work out
whether its output is supposed to be 24V DC or AC - I presume the
latter.

How are these things sealed, with some sort of plastic cement that will
be impossible to break open?

Daniele
--
Do you have difficulty sleeping sometimes? Have you ever had a
restaurant meal that was unsatisfying and left you feeling a
strange sense of dismay? Are you frequently tired? Are you easily
irritated?

Almost certainly solvent adhesive or ultrasonic welding. Even if you do get
it open it is most likely that it will have a one time thermal fuse built
into the windings on the transformer.

Either buy another wallwart - too late for this year I expect or look out
for another set of lights in the post Xmas sales that runs on the same
voltage/current bulbs and use the defunkt set as spares for the new set.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which
can be opened to have a fuse changed.

How many have you changed a fuse in ?. Most have a thermal fuse in the
transformer winding.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which
can be opened to have a fuse changed.

The ones for our CHristmas tree lights seem to have blown a fuse, but
there's no way I can open it up to find out. And I can't even work out
whether its output is supposed to be 24V DC or AC - I presume the
latter.

How are these things sealed, with some sort of plastic cement that will
be impossible to break open?

Daniele

Some have screws, some are effectively welded. If its welded then its
screwed.

If theyre filament bulbs, it wont care whether you use ac or dc on the
bulbs, and any other adaptor with the same voltage and current output
should do. LEDs are different, the adaptor may well have essenatial
current control built in. So time for either a new set or a decent
adjustable power supply that will run them and other things later.

NT

Y Lighhting Adaptors Were Frightening, But ! the_constructor UK diy 6 December 12th 06 11:17 AM
R.I.H. Effing Adaptors Weatherlawyer UK diy 28 December 10th 06 08:22 PM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
Adaptors Tony Electronics 3 August 4th 04 02:24 PM
BC to ES Lamp Adaptors . Stuart UK diy 8 January 31st 04 02:28 PM