Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealed power adaptors

D.M. Procida wrote:

I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which
can be opened to have a fuse changed.

The ones for our CHristmas tree lights seem to have blown a fuse, but
there's no way I can open it up to find out. And I can't even work out
whether its output is supposed to be 24V DC or AC - I presume the
latter.

How are these things sealed, with some sort of plastic cement that will
be impossible to break open?

Daniele

Some have screws, some are effectively welded. If its welded then its
screwed.

If theyre filament bulbs, it wont care whether you use ac or dc on the
bulbs, and any other adaptor with the same voltage and current output
should do. LEDs are different, the adaptor may well have essenatial
current control built in. So time for either a new set or a decent
adjustable power supply that will run them and other things later.

NT