Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Y Lighhting Adaptors Were Frightening, But !

Moving on a little from the frightening Y Lighting Adaptors, I used to have
a friend, presumably deceased now, back in the 1980's who had an homemade
contraption that used to rejuvenate TV tubes.
It was an OXO tin with a lightbulb inside plus other bits of electronics.
He used to connect a wire from the tin box to the back of the TV tube and
plug it into the mains. When the light glowed, he used to disconnect it, put
the TV back together and hey presto, one rejuvenated TV.
Now that was scary.
--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
Moving on a little from the frightening Y Lighting Adaptors, I used to have
a friend, presumably deceased now, back in the 1980's who had an homemade
contraption that used to rejuvenate TV tubes.
It was an OXO tin with a lightbulb inside plus other bits of electronics.
He used to connect a wire from the tin box to the back of the TV tube and
plug it into the mains. When the light glowed, he used to disconnect it, put
the TV back together and hey presto, one rejuvenated TV.
Now that was scary.

IIRC, this was done by overrunning the cathode heater for a short time.
Such a box would have been easy to make for the sets with 300mA series
heater chains in all their valves (valve part numbers starting with a 'P').
A 75W bulb would draw about 300mA, so connecting one in series with the
heater would run it normally. To overrun it, he probably used a 100W or
150W bulb instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
[...]

That's not the way they worked. These 'crt reactivators' were commonly
made and used 20 to 30 years ago - I made and used several of them
myself in those days (and they could even be bought from spares'
suppliers). Essentially they worked by causing a heavy current to flow
between the cathode and the control grid of the crt. The heater was
'overrun' during the process, but the cleansing of the cathode - which
was responsible for the low-emission problem - was achieved by applying
a burst of high positive bias to the grid, while tying the cathode to
close to ground level.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote:

That's not the way they worked. These 'crt reactivators' were commonly
made and used 20 to 30 years ago - I made and used several of them
myself in those days (and they could even be bought from spares'
suppliers). Essentially they worked by causing a heavy current to flow
between the cathode and the control grid of the crt. The heater was
'overrun' during the process, but the cleansing of the cathode - which
was responsible for the low-emission problem - was achieved by
applying a burst of high positive bias to the grid, while tying the
cathode to close to ground level.

You're not really a farmer, are you....

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote:

That's not the way they worked. These 'crt reactivators' were commonly
made and used 20 to 30 years ago - I made and used several of them
myself in those days (and they could even be bought from spares'
suppliers). Essentially they worked by causing a heavy current to flow
between the cathode and the control grid of the crt. The heater was
'overrun' during the process, but the cleansing of the cathode - which
was responsible for the low-emission problem - was achieved by
applying a burst of high positive bias to the grid, while tying the
cathode to close to ground level.

You're not really a farmer, are you....

That would depend on your definition of farmer! ;)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote:

That's not the way they worked. These 'crt reactivators' were commonly
made and used 20 to 30 years ago - I made and used several of them
myself in those days (and they could even be bought from spares'
suppliers). Essentially they worked by causing a heavy current to flow
between the cathode and the control grid of the crt. The heater was
'overrun' during the process, but the cleansing of the cathode - which
was responsible for the low-emission problem - was achieved by
applying a burst of high positive bias to the grid, while tying the
cathode to close to ground level.

You're not really a farmer, are you....

That would depend on your definition of farmer! ;)

You are an electron farmer, and I claim my 5 pounds
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Richard Conway wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote:

That's not the way they worked. These 'crt reactivators' were commonly
made and used 20 to 30 years ago - I made and used several of them
myself in those days (and they could even be bought from spares'
suppliers). Essentially they worked by causing a heavy current to flow
between the cathode and the control grid of the crt. The heater was
'overrun' during the process, but the cleansing of the cathode - which
was responsible for the low-emission problem - was achieved by
applying a burst of high positive bias to the grid, while tying the
cathode to close to ground level.

You're not really a farmer, are you....

That would depend on your definition of farmer! ;)

You are an electron farmer, and I claim my 5 pounds

That reminds me of the story about the atom who ran into an old atom
friend one day.

'Dear oh dear', he said to his friend, 'you're looking a bit fed up -
what on earth is wrong?'

'I've lost one of my electrons', said the friend plaintively.

'Are you sure?, said the first atom.

'Yes', said the friend, 'I'm positive'.

Ah well, I thought it was funny!

R.I.H. Effing Adaptors Weatherlawyer UK diy 28 December 10th 06 08:22 PM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
Frightening News - Dropping the "New Years Ball" indago Home Repair 0 January 1st 05 04:22 PM
Adaptors Tony Electronics 3 August 4th 04 02:24 PM
Servis Automatic 1000 frightening children Matthew James UK diy 5 December 30th 03 12:41 PM