Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default How common are portable CD players with speaker? [off topic]

I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with CD,
radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which drink
batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Sammy wrote:
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture.
It would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with
CD, radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which
drink batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable
music players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Very rare but you could get a bog standard portable player and some tiny 5
quid speakers
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with CD,
radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which drink
batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Well there is Look in Argoose. But what is wrong with the ear phones or
headset provided in the discman's

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec 2006, Trev trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM wrote:

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the
lecture. It would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players
with CD, radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and
which drink batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable
music players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Well there is Look in Argoose. But what is wrong with the ear
phones or headset provided in the discman's

Three or four of us will be following this at the same time, which is
why I said I wanted a speaker.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec 2006, Sammy wrote:

looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little speaker.

I've never seen one that fits your need. I've seen Discman (or similar
name) that used headphones. Neat-Ideas were recently giving away a CD
player with orders over some level (CD player, plus two small speakers)
but because CDs are mostly for playing music and support stereo, they
might have never made anthing similar to a simple tranny radio with
a single speaker - the CD is pretty much guaranteed to 'need' stereo.

I did see some '99p delivery deal on a website recently when buying a
12 or 24 CD holder which had small speakers built in. Since it was a
similar price to the minimum delivery cost, and made delivery of the
whole order 99p, it was something my sister bought instead of paying
similar for just delivery (but she lives miles away, so no comment on
how good or otherwise the small speakers are, sorry).

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the
lecture. It would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players
with CD, radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and
which drink batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable
music players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Well there is Look in Argoose. But what is wrong with the ear
phones or headset provided in the discman's

Three or four of us will be following this at the same time, which is
why I said I wanted a speaker.

Well if you dont find one you can use the Small battery powered computer
speakers.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec 2006, Dr Zoidberg
wrote:

Sammy wrote:
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the
lecture. It would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players
with CD, radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and
which drink batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable
music players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Very rare but you could get a bog standard portable player and some
tiny 5 quid speakers

Thanks for the reply.

If you mean some external powered speakers then I don't want a
seperate unit to add to the CD player as then there are spare
batteries to remember and twice as many units to carry in my case and
all that messing about. Besides I don't need the extra volume which
even a five quid powered speaker would give.

Whenever I have tried unpowered speakers attached to a CD walkman or
MP3 player they are almost completely inaudible. :-(

Maybe such a thing as I want is harder to find than I had hoped.

Maybe I need to settle for a very small "beat box" although the
ability of something like that to jump around the CD is probably
poor.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Trev trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM wrote:

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Well there is Look in Argoose.

'The laminated book of dreams'
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Mj Mj is offline

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with CD,
radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which drink
batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

TDK outloud any good?

2 small speakers built into a 24 disc case, plug in your walkman & off you
go

HTH
mj

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Not very well it seems, but you may find success if you look for cd radio
alarms that run off batteries.
For example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120063530356

Argos may have similar

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with CD,
radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which drink
batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Would a portable DVD player do the job? They are small, play CD's and have
built in speakers. With my one, if you put the screen down, it turns it off
but you can still play CD's so it saves batteries (which are rechargeable).
Available on Ebay from £30.00

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Mj" wrote
"Sammy" wrote
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

TDK outloud any good?

2 small speakers built into a 24 disc case, plug in your walkman

That's he
http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=629

The smaller 12CD case is better IMO:
http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=626

--
Mike

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Dan Dan is offline

Sammy wrote:
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the lecture. It
would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players with CD,
radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and which drink
batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable music
players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

look what I found!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bplayers.htm

argos item 2719038

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec 2006, Tony wrote:

"Sammy" wrote in message
I want to replay some lectures from CD. I want to just hear the
presenter and, if possible, jump to different points in the
lecture. It would need to run from batteries.

So I'm looking for something like a CD Walkman with its own little
speaker.

I definitely don't mean the large all-in-one "beat box" players
with CD, radio, and cassette player with loud stereo speakers and
which drink batteries.

How well represented amongst the many different types of portable
music players currently thronging the shops is such a thing?

Would a portable DVD player do the job? They are small, play CD's
and have built in speakers. With my one, if you put the screen
down, it turns it off but you can still play CD's so it saves
batteries (which are rechargeable). Available on Ebay from £30.00

This could be as close as I get to what I want.

But £30 on ebay? I can find lots but they are rather more than £30.

Do you have a link or model name?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Dan wrote:

look what I found!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bplayers.htm

argos item 2719038

My God, _that_ is hideous!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-21 17:36:52 +0000, "jasee" said:

Dan wrote:

look what I found!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bplayers.htm

argos