Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable hole trim?

Hi,

I need to cut a hole (about 3" diameter or so) in the top of a built-in
cabinet sufficient for a couple of scart leads plus an RF cable and a
power lead.

I understand that it's possible to get some sort of plastic trim to
make the hole look a bit tidier. I had a quick flick through a
ScrewFix Catalogue On Someone's Desk At Work, but couldn't find
anything suitable.

Any pointers?

Cheers,

--
Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick H wrote:
Hi,

I need to cut a hole (about 3" diameter or so) in the top of a built-in
cabinet sufficient for a couple of scart leads plus an RF cable and a
power lea

Search CPC for "Cable Tidy" and you get this

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...p?SKU=CBBR4359

There are other sizes too

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dcbwhaley wrote:

rick H wrote:
Hi,

I need to cut a hole (about 3" diameter or so) in the top of a built-in
cabinet sufficient for a couple of scart leads plus an RF cable and a
power lea

Search CPC for "Cable Tidy" and you get this

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...p?SKU=CBBR4359

There are other sizes too

That's just the ticket. Gives me an excuse to buy a few other bits
from CPC/Farnell in order to get up to the minimum credit-card spend!

Next question for the experts: will a holesaw stuck on the end of my
Ryobi cordless drill be up to the job of cutting a suitable hole, or are
there better methods for such things?

cheers,

--
Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That will work ok but keep it slow ,to fast and you will burn the
wood/chipboard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick H wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
rick H wrote:
Hi,

I need to cut a hole (about 3" diameter or so) in the top of a built-in
cabinet sufficient for a couple of scart leads plus an RF cable and a
power lea

Search CPC for "Cable Tidy" and you get this

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...p?SKU=CBBR4359

There are other sizes too

That's just the ticket. Gives me an excuse to buy a few other bits
from CPC/Farnell in order to get up to the minimum credit-card spend!

Next question for the experts: will a holesaw stuck on the end of my
Ryobi cordless drill be up to the job of cutting a suitable hole, or are
there better methods for such things?

It'll do fine: you want to drill it from both sides to avoid
breakthrough damage - as soon as the guide drill emerges on one side,
remove it and attack it from the reverse side.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:10:55 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

rick H wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
rick H wrote:
[...]

Would masking tape help to avoid problems .??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:

Would masking tape help to avoid problems .??

I would have thought it would probably clog up the teeth in the hole
saw!

I remember someone asking this question some months ago, except in that
case it was in the back of a wood finished cabinet and possibly visible
on occasions.

The hole saw trick from both sides (as above) was suggested and the OP
posted a photoraph to show how well it had turned out.

Another satisfied customer....!

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:

The hole saw trick from both sides (as above) was suggested and the OP
posted a photoraph to show how well it had turned out.

Another satisfied customer....!

Terry

and here's the OP's photo:

http://www.barber.myzen.co.uk/PA282890.jpg

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Would masking tape help to avoid problems .??

I would have thought it would probably clog up the teeth in the hole
saw!

I remember someone asking this question some months ago, except in that
case it was in the back of a wood finished cabinet and possibly visible
on occasions.

The hole saw trick from both sides (as above) was suggested and the OP
posted a photoraph to show how well it had turned out.

Yes, as it happens I had to make an electric-plug-sized hole in the side
of a kitchen unit yesterday and used this technique: there's no hint of
any splintering at either side.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:

Terry wrote:

The hole saw trick from both sides (as above) was suggested and the OP
posted a photoraph to show how well it had turned out.

Another satisfied customer....!

Terry

and here's the OP's photo:

http://www.barber.myzen.co.uk/PA282890.jpg

I hope I manage as neat a job as that!

The two sizes of trim available from CPC are 60mm and 80mm. My wife
gasped when I showed her the size of the proposed damage - I think she
imagined it was going to be about 1cm across, though gawd knows how she
thought I was going to get 2 scarts and a mains plug through!

--
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick H wrote:

The two sizes of trim available from CPC are 60mm and 80mm. My wife
gasped when I showed her the size of the proposed damage - I think she
imagined it was going to be about 1cm across, though gawd knows how she
thought I was going to get 2 scarts and a mains plug through!

I could make some politically incorrect comment at this stage relating
to child-birth, but perhaps not.

Did you think of nicking a suitable trim from an office desk ? Or
maybe trying an office furniture supplier ? I did browse one or two
online catalogues but they don't tend to list accessories like this.
Which is not to say you might not be able to pick one up in an outlet.

--
"So much time, and so little to do."