Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plumbing emergency

Hello,

The cold tap to our bath has stopped working. The header tank has one
pipe coming from it which splits, via a T-piece, into two. One pipe
from this goes to the cylinder to be heated and the hot water tap
flows without problems. The second pipe goes to the cold water tap.

Water flows freely from the loft down the pipe to the airing cupboard
where there is a gate valve and the blockage is somewhere between the
gate valve and the bath. I know this because I have taken the gate
valve apart and the water is running up to that point and I have
taken the tap apart and there is no water going to it.

So what's the best thing to do now? Should I use some curtain wire to
try and move the blockage? Or is there a better way? Any idea what
might be blocking it?

Thanks.

It could be blockage, or it may be an air-lock. Can you get mains water to
the non-working tap - maybe using a hose-pipe connected to the kitchen tap?
If so, you can use mains to back-flush the pipe between the tap and tank -
which should clear any blockage or air-lock.

You'll need an assistant. Connect a hose between a mains tap and the outlet
of the bath tap. Turn on the bath tap. Get the assistant to *gently* turn on
the mains tap. Don't run it for long, or you'll overflow the header tank.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
plumbing emergency Phil L UK diy 1 December 13th 06 10:47 AM
plumbing emergency Rusty Nail UK diy 1 December 12th 06 11:16 PM
emergency lights Charlie Self Woodworking 18 November 21st 04 09:51 AM
CH/HW emergency - Help !! Dave Liquorice UK diy 8 July 30th 03 08:59 AM