Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reading an economy 7 digital meter.

My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

All you need to do is look again this afternoon and see which one has
changed then if necessary ring the Electricity people

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

All you need to do is look again this afternoon and see which one has
changed then if necessary ring the Electricity people

Tony

Is it possible that im using 65kw in the day and 23kw at night, it
doesnt add up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

All you need to do is look again this afternoon and see which one has
changed then if necessary ring the Electricity people

Tony

Is it possible that im using 65kw in the day and 23kw at night, it
doesnt add up.

Yes, your storage heaters may be coming on in the day due to an incorrectly
set timer, or the storage heaters may have a boost function that is being
used in the day.

Does your whole house switch over to rate 2 in the night, or it it just for
the storage heaters?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The whole house switches over at night, no boost function on the
heaters, do all electric meters show the night units as rate 2?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The strange thing is if i lookat the running total for R1 and R2 R1 is
28750kwh and R2 is 41597kwh so since the meter was fitted the bulk of
the load is on R2, now the bulk of the load is going onto R1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec 2006 03:24:21 -0800, Richard wrote:

Sparks wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Have you thouught of looking at an old bill - the readings should give you
a clue which is normal and which is low rate.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
On 7 Dec 2006 03:24:21 -0800, Richard wrote:

Sparks wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have only just moved into this house and have not had a bill, just
rang npower and they are stating that R1 is the night time reading,
seems a little strange that the overall reading shows R2 as the highest
sine the meter was fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

8----

The strange thing is if i lookat the running total for R1 and R2 R1 is
28750kwh and R2 is 41597kwh so since the meter was fitted the bulk of
the load is on R2, now the bulk of the load is going onto R1

How do present readings compare with those when you took over the house. You
did take readings as soon as you moved it didn't you?

If the house was empty for a time but the heating was left switched on and
you have taken over the last inhabitant's final reading you might get
something like this.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

What controls when the storage heaters come on? I believe some, but not
all, E7 meters provide an extra output which is only "live" during the
night period, and which is used to power contactors for the storage
heaters. Or is there a separate timeswitch for the heaters, in which
case might it be wrongly set? (BTDT)

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

The Wanderer wrote:
On 7 Dec 2006 03:24:21 -0800, Richard wrote:

Sparks wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

TMC wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The easiest way to verify this it to take a reading in the morning, when it
is in "day" mode, then again in the evening when it is still in "day" mode,
and see which reading has increased (assuming you are using some power in
the house, or course)

As the whole house switches over at night, your storage heaters may be under
local control, rather than under the control of the time switch that
controls the meter - If so, check these are only on in the E7 period - The
E7 time is normally quoted in GMT, which we are currently in, when we switch
to British summer Time, the E7 stays on GMT (as I understand it anyway), so
don't change the time on the timers when the clocks go forward.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

My R1 is the low, R2 is the normal.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using
R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours
Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

It varies depending on the particular meter and tariff. I used to be on
Option 14 and the rates were "opposite" to Economy 7 on the readouts - I
don't believe I received a single correct bill for over 6 years until I
went back to a standard meter once CH was installed - and I work for the
company !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec 2006 01:23:34 -0800, Richard wrote:

My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

The "meter" that is currently being used is indicated in the display. At
least it is on my electronic E7 meter. Watch the display as it cycles
round from segment check (everything on), R1 R2 etc. On mine the ^ under
the printed "1 2 3 4 Total" blinks for the active rate.

R1 on mine is peak, R2 off peak.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours
R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I
cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage
heaters.

It really depends on the meter, timeswitch and wiring. Hopefully, your
supplier is attaching the correct reading to the correct tariff.

However, occasionally, they make mistakes. In the block of flats where I
live, despite everyone having the same type of meter, some flats have
Rate 1 as night, some have it as Day (quite how, I'm not sure). That
said, the flat numbers printed on the meters don't reliably correspond
to the flat that is actually supplied by the meters (as you might
imagine, this causes chaos).