Mark Carver

Default Getting an Economy 7 meter fitted

Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your
'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and
Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Lobster

Mark Carver wrote:
Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your
'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and
Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

Your energy supplier.

David

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:13:20 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your
'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and
Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

Economy 7 used to be all the rave. These days the electricity
companies seem to be very anti it.

I presume that in the days of mainly coal powered generating stations
that excess electricity would be generated at night. You are not going
to shut down a coal powered fire station to then start it up again the
next day.

However, with the move towards greater use of gas powered fire
stations, I imagine they can turn the power on and off pretty much at
will.

Graham

Colin Wilson

Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your
'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and
Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

Speak to your supplier (Powergen) and if you can't get their indian call
centre to acknowledge they have the remotest clue what you want from
them, change supplier.

If you really want to persist with a company that values its (staff?)
profits so much they force customers use a foreign call centre with all
the ensuing language difficulties, tell them you need them to send a
"dataflow" to the meter operator (MOP) to arrange the meter change.

The odds are, it will be Scottish & Southern meter fixers who will do the
work on behalf of Powergen.

Note: if you actually manage to get this done make sure you get the meter
serial number written down and the reading when the old one is removed.
Ditto for the new meter when it goes in - you`ll be surprised how
efficient the government made the industry when it was privatised...

Remember you`re not dealing with a single company with a "single point of
failure" - there are three "seperate" companies involved now (supplier /
network operator / meter operator) each with their own systems that may
or may not communicate the correct information to the others.

Mark Carver

Colin Wilson wrote:
Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your
'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and
Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

Speak to your supplier (Powergen) and if you can't get their indian call
centre to acknowledge they have the remotest clue what you want from
them, change supplier.

I've just phoned Powergen. I spoke to a very helpful chap (in Nottingham
:-)) who knew exactly what was what. Their 'contractor' is coming in two
weeks to change the meter FOC !

[snip]

Remember you`re not dealing with a single company with a "single point of
failure" - there are three "seperate" companies involved now (supplier /
network operator / meter operator) each with their own systems that may
or may not communicate the correct information to the others.

Yes, I'm not out of the woods yet. I'll be present when the meter is
swapped. I'll take some photos of the old and new meters just in case it
escalates into an NTL style saga.

Thanks for the replies

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply

Dave Stanton

I presume that in the days of mainly coal powered generating stations that
excess electricity would be generated at night. You are not going to shut
down a coal powered fire station to then start it up again the next day.

However, with the move towards greater use of gas powered fire stations, I
imagine they can turn the power on and off pretty much at will.

Graham

The problem is not the fires, but the fact that you have to keep the
Alternators turning or they bed down into their bearings and you would
never get them started again.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Colin Wilson

I've just phoned Powergen... spoke to a very helpful chap in Nottingham

You jammy git !

Colin Wilson

Twisted :-)

Gets me bent outta shape at times ;-)