Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refinishing brass plates.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:46:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Some of the wiring accessories at home are Crabtree with their Coinage
Bronze finish. This is achieved by coating a 'brushed' brass plate with a
tinted lacquer.

One or two of the light switches are losing their lacquer - not
surprising given their age of about 30 years. I do have spares but not for
all the multiple switch grid front panels.

Removing the plate and scrubbing in washing up liquid with a Scotch pan
scourer removes the lacquer without damaging the brushed brass, and I'd
like to know where I'd get - preferably - an aerosol of suitable lacquer?
I've tried car stuff, but it's too clear, as it were.

At a pinch you could try www.windcraft.co.uk - they sell a gold
lacquer for retouching saxes etc.
Might not be an exact match for existing brasswork though - coloured
lacquers are notoriously variable.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Removing the plate and scrubbing in washing up liquid with a Scotch pan
scourer removes the lacquer without damaging the brushed brass, and I'd
like to know where I'd get - preferably - an aerosol of suitable lacquer?
I've tried car stuff, but it's too clear, as it were.

It's usually a powder coat lacquer which was used on things like this
- that's why it lasts 30 years. The range of powder coat
clear/tinted lacquers isn't huge so you may be able to get an exact
match with the original if you have a friendly powder coaters nearby.
The original will however have discoloured with age so getting an
exact colour match to other faceplates may be more difficult.

Spray lacquers tend to be too soft to survive for long on
switchplates.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some of the wiring accessories at home are Crabtree with their Coinage
Bronze finish. This is achieved by coating a 'brushed' brass plate with a
tinted lacquer.

One or two of the light switches are losing their lacquer - not
surprising given their age of about 30 years. I do have spares but not for
all the multiple switch grid front panels.

Removing the plate and scrubbing in washing up liquid with a Scotch pan
scourer removes the lacquer without damaging the brushed brass, and I'd
like to know where I'd get - preferably - an aerosol of suitable lacquer?
I've tried car stuff, but it's too clear, as it were.

You either need an aerosol which occasionally appears in decent
hardware shops or a bottle of the proper lacquer that again is found
in decent hardware shops. The problem with brushing is that you
require a special brush. This is like a signwriters brush with very
long soft bristles and lays the lacquer on, rather than brushing it on
and leaves a thickness behind without grooves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:19:41 GMT, EricP
wrote:

At a pinch you can make the lacquer by dropping perspex chips into
acetone and dissolving it. That way you can get the thickness you
like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Removing the plate and scrubbing in washing up liquid with a Scotch
pan scourer removes the lacquer without damaging the brushed brass, and
I'd like to know where I'd get - preferably - an aerosol of suitable
lacquer? I've tried car stuff, but it's too clear, as it were.

It's usually a powder coat lacquer which was used on things like this
- that's why it lasts 30 years. The range of powder coat
clear/tinted lacquers isn't huge so you may be able to get an exact
match with the original if you have a friendly powder coaters nearby.
The original will however have discoloured with age so getting an
exact colour match to other faceplates may be more difficult.

Not really too much of a problem as they're not that close to one another.

I'm surprised if it's powder coating - it came off pretty easily.

Spray lacquers tend to be too soft to survive for long on
switchplates.

They don't get heavy use here, though.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
EricP wrote:
You either need an aerosol which occasionally appears in decent
hardware shops or a bottle of the proper lacquer that again is found
in decent hardware shops. The problem with brushing is that you
require a special brush. This is like a signwriters brush with very
long soft bristles and lays the lacquer on, rather than brushing it on
and leaves a thickness behind without grooves.

Is there a brand name etc for this lacquer so I know what to look for?

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One or two of the light switches are losing their lacquer

Eric is right when he suggests dissolving Perspex -- a methacrylate
laquer is definitely the stuff to use here. Getting anything to stick
to brass is hard enough, let alone something that's hard enough
afterwards to wear well.

Easiest way to do it though is to buy some of Rustins', rather than
making your own. You might find it in B&Q, or Axminster have it.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-R...quer-22698.htm

You'll also want a top quality varnish brush to put it on with. Work
somewhere that's dry, dust-free and warm, but not typical Summer heat
or you'll have problems with it drying too fast.

I've not seen the same formulations in aerosols. I think it's
sprayable, but not easily packageable.

Obviously cleanliness is next to godliness here -- so I degrease with
acetone before laquering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Easiest way to do it though is to buy some of Rustins', rather than
making your own. You might find it in B&Q, or Axminster have it.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-R...quer-22698.htm

I'll second that recommendation.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Removing the plate and scrubbing in washing up liquid with a Scotch pan
scourer removes the lacquer without damaging the brushed brass, and I'd
like to know where I'd get - preferably - an aerosol of suitable lacquer?
I've tried car stuff, but it's too clear, as it were.

Tinted polyurethane wood varnish?

Brushable but very durable and "yellowish"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some of the wiring accessories at home are Crabtree with their Coinage
Bronze finish. This is achieved by coating a 'brushed' brass plate with a
tinted lacquer.

Using bronze might be more sensible, it'll never turn into brass.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
Some of the wiring accessories at home are Crabtree with their Coinage
Bronze finish. This is achieved by coating a 'brushed' brass plate
with a tinted lacquer.

Using bronze might be more sensible, it'll never turn into brass

'Coinage Bronze' is simply a name like most paint colours. It's actually
closer to brass than bronze. Most modern brass electrical fittings are
rather too bright looking for my taste. This finish tends to blend in
rather more with my choice of decor.

--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Wall starter plates Lawrence Zarb UK diy 4 December 4th 05 07:39 PM
superbeam and flitch plates [email protected] UK diy 1 November 10th 05 05:43 PM
Face plates or face plates rings? Peter Holt Woodturning 16 June 24th 05 02:40 PM
router plates CNT Woodworking 18 March 4th 05 10:25 PM
Where to get an Engraved Brass Plates Joe Adoryan Woodworking 8 September 9th 04 04:55 AM