Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 100kWhs of phone charger power

A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile
phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether
they are charging a phone or not.

What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be
able to reach on the mobile phone?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile
phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether
they are charging a phone or not.

What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be
able to reach on the mobile phone?

Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe
this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day. Perhaps they have
selected the charger they are warning you about and it was an early
mobile phone charger circa 1980's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" writes:

Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe
this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day.

5W. Certainly modern chargers are quite cool so I agree with you.

When I suffered a disk crash a few weeks ago I borrowed a USB-IDE
adaptor and the nasty hot power supply with that took 7W with nothing
connected.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan Schneider" wrote in message
"Weatherlawyer" writes:

Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe
this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day.

5W. Certainly modern chargers are quite cool so I agree with you.

so 24 hours times 5 is (approx) 100W

methinks someone misunderstood the the units.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov 2006 13:35:13 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

|D.M. Procida wrote:
|
| A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile
| phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether
| they are charging a phone or not.
|
| What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be
| able to reach on the mobile phone?
|
|Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe
|this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day.

Which is *100watthours per day* Maybe a person in the publicity department
who did not understand *kilo*?

About 4 watts seems about right to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile
phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether
they are charging a phone or not.

Lol. Maybe if you add up all the chargers in the nation.

What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be
able to reach on the mobile phone?

Daniele

100kWh over say a 5hr charge is 20kW. At 12v that would be 1666A. For 5
hours means charging input of 8333Ah. If we allow 10% losses then
you're looking at a 7500Ah 12v battery. Compare that to your typical
33Ah car battery... its equivalent to 227 car batteries.

Where could you phone with that? Pluto maybe?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" writes:

Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe
this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day.

5W. Certainly modern chargers are quite cool so I agree with you.

so 24 hours times 5 is (approx) 100W

methinks someone misunderstood the the units.

Multiply that by 365 days (0.1kWh x 365) = 36.5kWh

If you have three or more chargers in the house (two mobile phones and a
couple of DECT handsets) and you are looking at well over 100kWh

That is per *year* though, and that is where the leaflet gets things mixed
up. Swap *day* for *year* and it makes perfect sense.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
D.M. Procida wrote:

A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile
phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether
they are charging a phone or not.

Lol. Maybe if you add up all the chargers in the nation.

You may well be talking about GWh then...

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

100kWh over say a 5hr charge is 20kW. At 12v that would be 1666A. For 5
hours means charging input of 8333Ah. If we allow 10% losses then
you're looking at a 7500Ah 12v battery. Compare that to your typical
33Ah car battery... its equivalent to 227 car batteries.

Where could you phone with that? Pluto maybe?

NT

I wouldn't say a 33Ah battery is the typical capacity of a car battery -
more like
50 to 90 Ah...

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
100kWh over say a 5hr charge is 20kW. At 12v that would be 1666A. For 5
hours means charging input of 8333Ah. If we allow 10% losses then
you're looking at a 7500Ah 12v battery. Compare that to your typical
33Ah car battery... its equivalent to 227 car batteries.

Where could you phone with that? Pluto maybe?

NT

I wouldn't say a 33Ah battery is the typical capacity of a car battery -
more like
50 to 90 Ah...

Ah well, probably only get as far as Neptune then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y