Deceptor

Default Cordless Phone Power Source ???

Hi all, new in here. A friend gave me a cordless Panasonic telephone without
the power source. I picked up
one at a charity shop for $2 and I am hoping it will be OK to use with it.
It was given to me because a couple
of the dial out buttons misbehave a bit. (especially the common two required
for dialing out local calls)
I thought it would be a good idea to take out in the backyard whilst
relaxing having a few beers to receive calls
to save me running into the house to answer calls.
The sticker on the bottom of the phone requires:
Power Source 12V 150mA AC Adapter
The one I bought is: 12V 300mA AC Adapter
Plus the sticker says "Use only with Panasonic AC Adapter" which I'm sure
would be a ploy just to buy
an expensive Panasonic replacement part.
I am assuming it will be OK to use?? Or will it damage the rechargable
battery inside?
Any advice from you electronic guru's muchly appreciated!!!
BTW What is the "oily like substance" between the rubber keypad and the
circuit board?
I have seen this on another one I pulled apart recently which was playing up
so much I couldn't use it.
Thanks
Greetings From Downunder

Jerry G.

Many of these supplies are not internally voltage regulated. Therefore, if
the supply is over rated in its current handling, it may put too much
voltage across the phone. Normally you should be able to use as large a
supply you want, as long as the voltage is correct. Ideally you should use
the correct size of supply, unless the universal one you have is voltage
regulated.

If you can measure the supply output across the phone while it is connected,
this would give you a good indication if its voltage is too high. If you
exceed about 14 Volts across the phone, it can start to do damage by
overdriving the internal components.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Deceptor" wrote in message
[...]

sPoNiX

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:29:31 +1000, "Deceptor"
wrote:

[...]

If the supply you bought is regulated then it'll be ok. If it is
unregulated it *might* damage the phone.

Wash the keypad in diluted washing up liquid, rinse in clean water and
allow to dry for a few days. Wipe the PCB with a dry, lint free
tissue. Hopefully normal keypad operation will resume.

sPoNiX
jakdedert

wrote:

[...]

Ditto all of the above...with one important reminder!

Voltage and current are not even as important as POLARITY! In a pinch, I've
used supplies of a few volts more or less than rated with good results,
although I wouldn't recommend it as standard practice. We've had
discussions on this group as to the idiocy of the Industry supplying
thousands of different (identical-appearing) 'wall-wart' power supplies with
widely varying (a.c. or d.c) voltages, currents...or differing d.c.
POLARITY!

Make sure your unit is correct. Usually there is a small icon near the
power jack with indicates whether the tip or the sleeve of the plug needs to
be positive. Use the wrong one and your phone certainly won't work. On
some units the phone might also be damaged beyond economic repair.

jak
sPoNiX

Bob Shuman

Good point, I assumed the output was alternating current since he said it
was an "AC adapter", but now that I re-read the OP's note, it might have
been a reference to the input voltage source. I know many of these types of
units generated AC output and did the rectification and additional filtering
in the phone base itself.

Bob

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

James Sweet

wrote:

[...]

Chances are the phone has it's own internal regulator, so watch the polarity
and hook it up, my guess is it'll work just fine.

James Sweet

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Good point, I assumed the output was alternating current since he said it
was an "AC adapter", but now that I re-read the OP's note, it might have
been a reference to the input voltage source. I know many of these types

of
units generated AC output and did the rectification and additional

filtering
in the phone base itself.

Bob

An "AC adapter" is simply a device (wall wart or similar) that converts
household AC line voltage to whatever voltage the device requires, whether
that be AC or DC is irrelevant, it's still an AC adapter since it adapts the
AC line to the device.

wrote:

[...]

That oily goo is the rubber slowly breaking down. I've had a number
of remotes and one cordless phone that suffer from the oily crap
syndrome. I end up popping them apart every 6 months and cleaning
them with alcohol and a rubber eraser.

As everyone else mentioned, if the plug fits, and you match the
polarity, voltage, and minimum current capability, it should work
fine.

-Chris
Bob Shuman

James,

Thanks for the explanation, but I already understood exactly what an "AC
Adapter" is...I have even had several of the sealed variety apart and
repaired them on occasion.

My confusion came from the fact that the OP clearly listed the "AC"
immediately after the "150ma 12V" output specification. As such when I read
"150ma 12V AC" Adapter, and not 150ma 12V "AC Adapter", so I immediately
thought AC output. Fact of the matter is that, like most who probably read
this newsgroup, I retain these adapters when the device they powered can no
longer be repaired/salvaged. After re-reading, I agree that the OP was not
clear on whether the adapter output needed to be AC or DC so I thought that
the advice that he be absolutely certain of the polarity was good.

Bob

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Good point, I assumed the output was alternating current since he said

it
was an "AC adapter", but now that I re-read the OP's note, it might have
been a reference to the input voltage source. I know many of these

types
of
units generated AC output and did the rectification and additional

filtering
in the phone base itself.

Bob

An "AC adapter" is simply a device (wall wart or similar) that converts
household AC line voltage to whatever voltage the device requires, whether
that be AC or DC is irrelevant, it's still an AC adapter since it adapts

the
AC line to the device.

JURB6006

Right where the plug goes in there should be something that looks a bit like
this:

- @ ) + (the @ is just a dot though)

That should indicate the polarity needed and there should be a similar marking
on the wallwart. If not you can measure it.

JURB

jakdedert

Deceptor wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, all is working fine now

Right where the plug goes in there should be something that looks a
bit like this:

- @ ) + (the @ is just a dot though)

That should indicate the polarity needed and there should be a
similar marking on the wallwart. If not you can measure it.

JURB

Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM
cordless phone yuvaraj Home Ownership 4 November 30th 03 01:25 PM
Cordless Phone Frequency Question lcoe Electronics Repair 2 August 18th 03 10:42 PM