Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saw for Composite panels?

I'll shortly need to cut a number of wall panels to length. These are a
sandwich of lightly ribbed steel sheet (0.5 - 0.7mm) and a 70mm foam
core. I'll have around 40metres of saw cut in total.

For the last, similar job, I used metal cutting discs in a small angle
grinder, but it was a slow and painful process, and, as I couldn't get
right through the thickness in one pass, difficult to align the cuts
from both sides. It also got through discs at an alarming rate.

So I have an excuse for a new toy, but which? I have a small, elderly
Metabo jig saw, that probably wouldn't be up to the job, and I don't
think I've seen long enough blades for it. So do I go for a bigger jig
saw, a reciprocating saw, or even a B&D Scorpion? I'll accept the
argument, as put forward in the FAQ, that a good jig saw is a very
different animal to a cheapo, but does the same apply to reciprocating
saws? Let's assume that I'd also use such a device for a range of
other jobs it could do better than a chain saw or a hand-held circular
saw.

Can a cheap cordless
(e.g.
)
really cut it (sorry), and is, say,

much inferior to a Dewalt DW303K at well over twice the price, in terms
of the finished result - I'm not expecting to be using one in ten years
time?

Any other recommendations or experiences will be gratefully received.

Do all these reciprocating saws take each other's blades, or could one
be stuck with the saw equivalent of Betamax?

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:
I'll shortly need to cut a number of wall panels to length. These
are a sandwich of lightly ribbed steel sheet (0.5 - 0.7mm) and a 70mm
foam core. I'll have around 40metres of saw cut in total.

So I have an excuse for a new toy, but which? I have a small, elderly

Metabo jig saw, that probably wouldn't be up to the job, and I don't
think I've seen long enough blades for it.

Makita make jigsaw blades to cut this sort of stuff, they are 105mm long,
so should manage 70mm.

P-47204, P-47210 and P-49644

Don't know if your Metabo takes the universal fitting though.

Do all these reciprocating saws take each other's blades, or could one
be stuck with the saw equivalent of Betamax?

ASAIK they all take the same blade shank. I've had 2 x cheapies (Challenge
Extreem & JCB) and the blades fitted. Problem I've found with the cheapies
in the blade holder mechanism - bloody blades keep falling out.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:

really cut it (sorry), and is, say,

much inferior to a Dewalt DW303K at well over twice the price, in
terms of the finished result - I'm not expecting to be using one in
ten years time?

BTW - if you do buy that, would you review it on the group please? I do
need to get a new reciprocating saw, but it's not something I use a lot, so
I don't want to spend much - as long as the blades stay in place!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-19 12:07:28 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Autolycus wrote:

really cut it (sorry), and is, say,

much inferior to a Dewalt DW303K at well over twice the price, in
terms of the finished result - I'm not expecting to be using one in
ten years time?

BTW - if you do buy that, would you review it on the group please? I
do need to get a new reciprocating saw, but it's not something I use a
lot, so I don't want to spend much - as long as the blades stay in
place!

Just don't buy the Scorpion. Unless they have substantially improved
it, it's about as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Autolycus
writes
I'll shortly need to cut a number of wall panels to length. These are
a sandwich of lightly ribbed steel sheet (0.5 - 0.7mm) and a 70mm foam
core. I'll have around 40metres of saw cut in total.

I have a pile of 80mm seconds to cut up shortly so this thread is
interesting.

I asked the manufacturers (Steadmans) what to use and they suggested an
Evolution reciprocating saw. I have not followed this up as the job is
not yet urgent.

One interesting suggestion they made is to use a power drill with a
conventional twist drill to clear unwanted insulation from the steel! (I
have to form overhangs to drip to the gutter)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Autolycus wrote:

really cut it (sorry), and is, say,

much inferior to a Dewalt DW303K at well over twice the price, in
terms of the finished result - I'm not expecting to be using one in
ten years time?

BTW - if you do buy that, would you review it on the group please? I do
need to get a new reciprocating saw, but it's not something I use a lot, so
I don't want to spend much - as long as the blades stay in place!

Looks like the JCB one I've got, works ok on box section roofing, no
problems with the blade holder using Bosch blades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Autolycus
writes
I'll shortly need to cut a number of wall panels to length. These are
a sandwich of lightly ribbed steel sheet (0.5 - 0.7mm) and a 70mm foam
core. I'll have around 40metres of saw cut in total.

I have a pile of 80mm seconds to cut up shortly so this thread is
interesting.

I asked the manufacturers (Steadmans) what to use and they suggested an
Evolution reciprocating saw. I have not followed this up as the job is
not yet urgent.

Nothing in Google on *evolution reciprocating saw* but plenty on
evolution tungsten carbide tipped circular blades for cutting metal.

One interesting suggestion they made is to use a power drill with a
conventional twist drill to clear unwanted insulation from the steel!
(I have to form overhangs to drip to the gutter)

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Just don't buy the Scorpion. Unless they have substantially improved
it, it's about as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.

I got one as a present some years ago. Doesn't get used for much, but it
has its uses.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:

I'll shortly need to cut a number of wall panels to length. These are a
sandwich of lightly ribbed steel sheet (0.5 - 0.7mm) and a 70mm foam
core. I'll have around 40metres of saw cut in total.

Saw some long B&D Piranha jigsaw blades today, 132mm overall length,
101mm of teeth (in a progressor style, which is to say deeper wider
spaced teeth at bottom, gradually becoming shallower narrow spaced teeth
at top)

Rated for 65mm cutting depth of wood, 30mm of aluminium, or 3-10mm of
steel, so I'd imagine they'd cope with your composite stuff ok.

Part number X26052 in case that helps, I bought some "just in case", I
did have a job recently they would have helped with, but probably now
they'll not find a use for ages, but you never know ...

Need your help to glue panels of 6 panel door for stain glass installation. S. Stern Woodworking 8 April 7th 06 11:36 PM
Raised panels without panel raising bits RayV Woodworking 7 March 10th 06 09:59 PM
will my panels warp? Wyatt Woodworking 4 October 31st 05 05:49 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM