Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wax on windscreen

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote:
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used
on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

Vinegar on a rag, do the wiper blades at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:34:29 GMT, Jim S wrote:

|I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
|the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
|Best way to remove it please?

Meths.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

Washing up liquid and screenwash liquid.

They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:34:29 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

Sledgehammer or a large rock.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used
on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

Halfords sell Autoglym glass polish (Autoglym also do a spray on glass
cleaner that you don't want) that works - moved car 30yds from house whilst
applying silicon water repellent to stone work and it still got covered.
Also stock Mer windscreen cleaner - no knowledge and they used to do their
own brand windscreen polish that clains to remove polish residues.

If none of those suit I think those windscreen water repellants come with a
pre treatment glass cleaner.

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

I expect 'Halfords Intensive Glass Cleaner' would work - it managed to
shift Rainex from mine and that stuff is designed to stay on as long as
possible!

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S writes:
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

I had a garage wax may windscreen, and spoke with Triplex about
how to clean it. Advice was to wash it with white spirit, and
dry with *lots* of sheets of kitchen roll (the guy said expect
to use a whole roll, or you'll just be moving the wax around
the screen, and you only need a 1-molecule layer left behind to
cause problems). Don't allow any of the paper towels to run
into the rubber around the windscreen as that will hold wax
which will contaminate the towel, and it can't realistically
be washed out of rubber. For this reason, you will also have
to replace the wiper blades as they'll transfer wax back to the
glass.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

Use Clearalex washer additive in the bottle - it soon clears the wax
when SWMBO puts the car through the local car wash. It is the best I
have found to keep the screen clear of oil thrown up from the road.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been
used on the windscreen. It smears on the rain. Best way to remove it
please?

Panel wipe. Removes most anything, without damaging paint and rubber, etc.
It's excellent value as a solvent at about 5 quid for 5 litres. Gets used
here for just about anything like that.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

never has mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

never has mine.

Maybe too much = "used neat" :-)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:34:29 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

http://groups.google.de/group/uk.d-i...0?dmode=source

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Thomas Prufer wrote:

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have
some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

http://groups.google.de/group/uk.d-i...0?dmode=source

I still have memories of that Sierra estate.
Nice 6-cylinder engine, good consumption,
but it steered like a boat, and the headlamps
just put two pathetic pools of yellow down
on the road. Both the front and rear wind-
-screens filthy'd up at the drop of a hat.

--
Tony Williams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clint Sharp wrote:
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

They block anyway with hard water. Washing up liquid may help prevent this.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:01:07 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Clint Sharp wrote:
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

They block anyway with hard water. Washing up liquid may help prevent
this.

================================
Clear the nozzles with a set of welding nozzle cleaners :

http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/a...eaner_Set.html

BOC also sell them.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
Thomas Prufer wrote:

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have
some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

http://groups.google.de/group/uk.d-i...0?dmode=source

I still have memories of that Sierra estate.
Nice 6-cylinder engine, good consumption but it steered like a boat and the
headlamps just put two pathetic pools of yellow down on the road. Both the
front and rear wind-screens filthy'd up at the drop of a hat.

The heading of that message was for:
"Car windscreen wiperblade scratches - removal. "

I take it that the post had wondered off topic? As for ford headlamps;
I don't think they have improved all that much have they? Or do they
just age badly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:

The heading of that message was for:
"Car windscreen wiperblade scratches - removal. "

I take it that the post had wondered off topic? As for ford
headlamps; I don't think they have improved all that much have
they? Or do they just age badly?

They also got fairly dirty, but (afair) the front
glass? was not very hard and easily abraded,
(by careless wiping or dirty road-water hitting
them, I don't know which). Either way it made
driving on unlit country lanes quite difficult.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov 2006 02:11:57 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

The heading of that message was for:
"Car windscreen wiperblade scratches - removal. "

I take it that the post had wondered off topic?

No -- someone had suggested polishing out the scratches with toothpaste, and
someone answered said it wouldn't be abrasive enough, and backed this up by
saying that Ford recommends it as a cleaning agent.

It works well enough, and leaves a pleasantly minty smell, too.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
.. .
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid
my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.
Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

never has mine.

Maybe too much = "used neat" :-)

cheers,
clive

Highly likely, my next door neighbour asked me to have a look at his car
because his washers weren't. After I'd replaced the pipework, flushed
the bottle/pump out and ultrasonically cleaned the nozzles it all worked
nicely, he claimed he'd been using it for years. Friend's wife also used
it and had it sorted by the dealer as the car was under warranty (ouch).
I suspect that pre-mixing it would work fine but they had just squeezed
a bit into the washer bottle without mixing it so it accumulated and
blocked the pipes.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Clint Sharp contains these words:

I suspect that pre-mixing it would work fine but they had just squeezed
a bit into the washer bottle without mixing it so it accumulated and
blocked the pipes.

I had to fix a Fiat once which had some sort of water infection. It
smelt dreadful and the water had turned to a sort of snot coloured snot
textured slime. In the end I had to blow it all out with the airline and
flush it all through with hot Milton solution to stop it happening
again. Vile it was, but the owner reckoned she'd only ever used proper
screenwash concentrate.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:34:29 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

http://groups.google.de/group/uk.d-i...0?dmode=source

Yes, but

Sensodyne or Colgate (and total protection or normal)?

I think we should be told

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tony Williams
writes
In article ,
Thomas Prufer wrote:

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have
some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

http://groups.google.de/group/uk.d-i...0?dmode=source

I still have memories of that Sierra estate.
Nice 6-cylinder engine, good consumption,
but it steered like a boat, and the headlamps
just put two pathetic pools of yellow down
on the road.

The 2 litre ?

I had one, had a prang with a Merc 200 (? - the standard kraut panzer)
in Altdorf ...

Merc required a new light cluster, Sierra, 6000DM worth of repairs

Both the front and rear wind-
-screens filthy'd up at the drop of a hat.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Clint Sharp contains these words:

I suspect that pre-mixing it would work fine but they had just squeezed
a bit into the washer bottle without mixing it so it accumulated and
blocked the pipes.

I had to fix a Fiat once which had some sort of water infection. It
smelt dreadful and the water had turned to a sort of snot coloured snot
textured slime. In the end I had to blow it all out with the airline and
flush it all through with hot Milton solution to stop it happening
again. Vile it was, but the owner reckoned she'd only ever used proper
screenwash concentrate.

--

I bought some Asda screenwash earlier in the year and it fermented to the
same, absolutely vile. I washed it all out and dosed the system with a few

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
raden wrote:

The 2 litre ?

Yes. It would easily do 100mph+, (if you had
the bottle to do it with that soft suspension).

I had one, had a prang with a Merc 200 (? - the standard kraut
panzer) in Altdorf ...

Merc required a new light cluster, Sierra, 6000DM worth of repairs

About par for the course for a Sierra. Someone
backed into my front wing, and crumpled it like
paper.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
raden wrote:

The 2 litre ?

Yes. It would easily do 100mph+, (if you had
the bottle to do it with that soft suspension).

I had one, had a prang with a Merc 200 (? - the standard kraut
panzer) in Altdorf ...

Merc required a new light cluster, Sierra, 6000DM worth of repairs

About par for the course for a Sierra. Someone
backed into my front wing, and crumpled it like
paper.

Sierras suffer from distortion of the main chassis platform rather too
easily in minor shunts. Most cars have 'crumple zones' front and back to
avoid this.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:34:29 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on
the windscreen. It smears on the rain.
Best way to remove it please?

Toothpaste (according to my father, not tried it myself)