Eric The Viking

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

"Aldi wax removal jig £4.99"

Do I win?

ETV

googlebot

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Urinate on it a lot.

There I used 5 words. Metallic T cut might work though.

OG

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--

Stick it in the freezer.

then gently bend it back so the wax comes away from the surface.

Or is that for a tablecloth?

Colin Wilson

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

I'll name this tune in one !

Rain-X

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

Alan

But rain-x glass cleaner, not the rain repellant!

david lang

Jim Scott wrote:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to
removing wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now
(12.33 am)

Meths!

Dave

Colin Wilson

But rain-x glass cleaner, not the rain repellant!

The rain repellant works - it says so on the bottle, and its worked for
me.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

Lurch

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:33:39 GMT, Jim Scott
scrawled:

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

Blow torch and angle grinder.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Chris Bacon

Lurch wrote:
Jim Scott scrawled:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

Blow torch and angle grinder.

Bother, you beat me to it.

I could suggest "wire brush and Dettol, Ma'am.".

A bit of elbow grease and detergent might help.
Matt

Jim Scott wrote:

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

House Brick + Insurance Job

John Rumm

OG wrote:

Stick it in the freezer.

then gently bend it back so the wax comes away from the surface.

Or is that for a tablecloth?

No, blotting paper and a warm iron for tablecloths so your advice must
be for windscreens.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stuart Noble

John Rumm wrote:
OG wrote:

Stick it in the freezer.

then gently bend it back so the wax comes away from the surface.

Or is that for a tablecloth?

No, blotting paper and a warm iron for tablecloths so your advice must
be for windscreens.

Windolene Original, a combination of white spirit and chalk. The white
spirit will dissolve the wax if it *is* wax. If it's a synthetic
wax-like polymer, very hot water/detergent will probably be your best bet.
The Natural Philosopher

Jim Scott wrote:

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

a mixture of solvent and detergent - say petrol and washing up liquid,
followed by a pure detregent, folowed by a normal vinegra or ammonia
type glass cleaner

chris French

In message , John
Rumm writes
OG wrote:

Stick it in the freezer.
then gently bend it back so the wax comes away from the surface.
Or is that for a tablecloth?

No, blotting paper and a warm iron for tablecloths so your advice must
be for windscreens.

The freezing thing is for chewing gum stuck on clothes etc.
--
Chris French

Jim Scott wrote:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

I'd either remove it mechanically or try some strong solvents, keeping
them off the rubber trim, paint, etc. The FAQ says alcohol may work.
I'd also try white spirit and cellulose thinners.

Plastic ball type scourer first I'd say.

NT

Elessar

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Autoglass. £50. Excess.

--
LSR

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Jim Scott wrote:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

New car.

ObPedant: "5 words or fewer"

--
Mike Barnes
soup

chris French wrote:
In message ,
John Rumm writes
OG wrote:

Stick it in the freezer.
then gently bend it back so the wax comes away from the surface.
Or is that for a tablecloth?

No, blotting paper and a warm iron for tablecloths so your advice
must be for windscreens.

The freezing thing is for chewing gum stuck on clothes etc.

Somehow I think they knew that and were being a tad tongue in cheek.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Jim Scott

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:41:33 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Jim Scott wrote:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

New car.

ObPedant: "5 words or fewer"

Absolutely correct. Note what time it was )
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
raden

In message , Jim Scott
writes
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

Angle grinder, yawn

OK ?

Do I win?

OK, back to sleep then

--
geoff

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Jim Scott writes:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

I spoke with Triplex about this after a garage waxed my
windscreen and I couldn't see out of it when it rained.
The answer is that it's difficult because the wax still
makes the water bead when there's only a single molecule
thickness, and it forms a weak bond with the glass which
makes it hard to get it all off, but not impossible.

Method is: First remove and discard windscreen wipers,
which once waxed, will keep transferring it back onto
the glass. Next, using white spirit and kitchen roll,
keep washing the windscreen and using new dry sheets to
wipe the white spirit off each time. Expect to use a
whole roll, mostly for the wiping off process. Work
methodically over the entire surface, being careful not
to recontaminate the area you cleaned. Finally, fit new
wiper blades.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Peter Parry

wrote:

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen.

Easy, traffic film remover. Read the instructions on the container
though - and then follow them.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Mr Fuxit

PM me with your address and I'll send you a free sample of a windscreen
washer additive that will, in a very short time, clear wax from your
screen.(I haven't yet got retail packaging sorted)

Malcolm Race

Jim Scott wrote:
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

Add Clearalex (from Halfords) to washer water - takes a few days but
very good at keeping screen clear of traffic filn in general use
Jim Scott

On 30 Sep 2005 14:16:29 -0700, Mr Fuxit wrote:

PM me with your address and I'll send you a free sample of a windscreen
washer additive that will, in a very short time, clear wax from your
screen.(I haven't yet got retail packaging sorted)

It's here without the X.

Anyhoo it's now 12.37 on Saturday morning and nobody came up with wet
newspapers (old type wot makes your hands mucky). Works a treat.

Thanks to all who advised.
First thing tomorrow I have to try T-cut to get those grinder marks off )
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
TonyK

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Claybar, cleanest screen ever!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
TonyK wrote:
Claybar, cleanest screen ever!

Any water based fine abrasive should work. Some say toothpaste is as good
as anything. I used Farecla (paint cutting compound) to remove some paint
overspray from one door window and it removed the greasy fingerprints etc
as well. So T-Cut should also be fine.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mr Fuxit

Sound like a great idea when half the windscreen wash usually sprays
over the roof.

It doesn't if the jets are adjusted correctly!

mogga

wrote:

You have 24hrs and using 5 words or less to give your solution to removing
wax smears from a car windscreen. Your time starts now (12.33 am)

Get dad to do it?
--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk/

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Sound like a great idea when half the windscreen wash usually sprays
over the roof.

It doesn't if the jets are adjusted correctly!

Adjust them to wet the whole screen at motorway speeds and you're bound
to get some overspray at town speeds.

The washers don't have to wet the whole screen, just anywhere within
reach of the wipers, which then spread the solution around. Works for
me, anyway, at any speed. But it used not to - I recognise the problem
you describe as a 1970s problem, and perhaps the difference is that the
cars I have nowadays pump a much greater volume of fluid onto the
screen. And the screens are more raked, I think.

--
Mike Barnes
Rob Morley

In article , october2005
@mikebarnes.fsnet.co.uk says...
In uk.d-i-y, Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Sound like a great idea when half the windscreen wash usually sprays
over the roof.

It doesn't if the jets are adjusted correctly!

Adjust them to wet the whole screen at motorway speeds and you're bound
to get some overspray at town speeds.

The washers don't have to wet the whole screen, just anywhere within
reach of the wipers, which then spread the solution around. Works for
me, anyway, at any speed. But it used not to - I recognise the problem
you describe as a 1970s problem, and perhaps the difference is that the
cars I have nowadays pump a much greater volume of fluid onto the
screen. And the screens are more raked, I think.

That'll teach me to drive crap old^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hclassic cars then :-)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Adjust them to wet the whole screen at motorway speeds and you're bound
to get some overspray at town speeds.

The washers don't have to wet the whole screen, just anywhere within
reach of the wipers, which then spread the solution around. Works for
me, anyway, at any speed. But it used not to - I recognise the problem
you describe as a 1970s problem, and perhaps the difference is that the
cars I have nowadays pump a much greater volume of fluid onto the
screen. And the screens are more raked, I think.

Trouble is all modern screens are laminated glass and rather soft. If you
don't flood the screen before wiping they'll get scratched, eventually.
Toughened ones weren't so soft. And most modern cars don't allow the
washers to be used independant of the wipers to soak the screen.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Trouble is all modern screens are laminated glass and rather soft.
8
Toughened ones weren't so soft.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know any on-line resource mentioning that?

Resetting controller on Ariston dishwasher bob Home Ownership 2 December 5th 06 09:56 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM