Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silvering glass?

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.

It is 18x60 inches.

Can anybody advise the rough cost of this please?

I am prepared to DIY if I can still get the chemicals to do it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.

I am prepared to DIY if I can still get the chemicals to do it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.gaynor.co.uk/reports/secrets/sec14.htm

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov 2006 06:24:18 -0800, "David Sims" wrote:

EricP wrote:

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.

I am prepared to DIY if I can still get the chemicals to do it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.gaynor.co.uk/reports/secrets/sec14.htm

HTH

Very much so!

Thanks )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.
It is 18x60 inches.

Even at that size and bevelled, price up a replacement -- it's probably
cheaper. I don't know anyone who would re-silver a 60" mirror and it's
bigger than I'd do myself, even though I've got all the chemistry to
hand and a supply of free silver[*].

My usual plug is for Roman Glass in Bristol / Bath as good suppliers
for new glass of this type. They're well-priced and competent on things
like bevelling, drilling, odd-shaped cuts and drilling. I wonder if
they've got the new disks for my Wimshurst machine ready yet? 8-)

[*] For sufficently envy-based values of "free". Mary might guess where
from 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--On 13 Nov 2006 09:47:28 -0800, "Andy Dingley
" wrote:

EricP wrote:

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.
It is 18x60 inches.

Even at that size and bevelled, price up a replacement -- it's probably
cheaper. I don't know anyone who would re-silver a 60" mirror and it's
bigger than I'd do myself, even though I've got all the chemistry to
hand and a supply of free silver[*].

This is the exact sort of hands-on stuff I wanted )

My usual plug is for Roman Glass in Bristol / Bath as good suppliers
for new glass of this type. They're well-priced and competent on things
like bevelling, drilling, odd-shaped cuts and drilling.

They are a couple of miles from me. I went past them this afternoon.
)

I wonder if they've got the new disks for my Wimshurst machine ready yet? 8-)

And a happy snap-crackle-pop to you. )

I think I will make you the definitive source and stop here.

Many thanks. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.

It is 18x60 inches.

Can anybody advise the rough cost of this please?

I am prepared to DIY if I can still get the chemicals to do it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Be very careful.
You can end up making a nice bang (silver fulminate IIRC, its 25 years since
I silvered a telescope mirror).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "David Sims" contains these words:

http://www.gaynor.co.uk/reports/secrets/sec14.htm

Cor, I'd never heard of "Blind pigs" before.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "dennis@home" contains these words:

Be very careful.
You can end up making a nice bang (silver fulminate IIRC, its 25 years
since
I silvered a telescope mirror).

It's hard to see where the carbon would come from if you'd taken the
trouble to get the mirror nice and clean.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

EricP wrote:

A victorian beveled edge piece of glass needs resilvering.
It is 18x60 inches.

Even at that size and bevelled, price up a replacement -- it's probably
cheaper. I don't know anyone who would re-silver a 60" mirror and it's
bigger than I'd do myself, even though I've got all the chemistry to
hand and a supply of free silver[*].

My usual plug is for Roman Glass in Bristol / Bath as good suppliers
for new glass of this type. They're well-priced and competent on things
like bevelling, drilling, odd-shaped cuts and drilling. I wonder if
they've got the new disks for my Wimshurst machine ready yet? 8-)

Moving into the future, Andy?

[*] For sufficently envy-based values of "free". Mary might guess where
from 8-)

I'm not telling!

Mary

Another question about glass dresser top Harlan Messinger Home Repair 13 September 20th 06 03:46 AM
Glass for shelves Harlan Messinger Home Repair 11 September 17th 06 01:53 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM