Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 22 mm to 3/4" flexible hose bore

I am just about to connect a water softener to my water system in the
house, and it has an inlet and outlet connector of 3/4", (like a
washing machine). My water comes in on a 22 mm copper pipe, so it
seems sensible to connect one to the other with a flexible pipe.

Looking in the screw fix catalogue, it would appear that the widest
bore flexible pipe available is 13 mm, so my question is, is this the
widest bore that is available?

It just seems to me, that's going from a 22 mm pipe to a 13 mm bore
pipe will cause an unnecessary restriction or am I missing out on
something here?

Any advice appreciated!

Quiggles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quiggles wrote:

Looking in the screw fix catalogue, it would appear that the widest
bore flexible pipe available is 13 mm, so my question is, is this the
widest bore that is available?

19mm bore flexihoses are available with 22mm or 3/4" fittings but not
from the cheapies who import from China.

Qualflex make 19mm in UK but, as they are a tad dearer, most merchants
stock smaller bores from China.

Get your local Plumbers merchant to order Qualflex 19mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov 2006 05:10:39 -0800, "Quiggles"
wrote:

I am just about to connect a water softener to my water system in the
house, and it has an inlet and outlet connector of 3/4", (like a
washing machine). My water comes in on a 22 mm copper pipe, so it
seems sensible to connect one to the other with a flexible pipe.

Looking in the screw fix catalogue, it would appear that the widest
bore flexible pipe available is 13 mm, so my question is, is this the
widest bore that is available?

It just seems to me, that's going from a 22 mm pipe to a 13 mm bore
pipe will cause an unnecessary restriction or am I missing out on
something here?

Any advice appreciated!

Quiggles

BES do 19mm flexis:

http://www.bes.co.uk

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:10:39 -0800, Quiggles wrote:

I am just about to connect a water softener to my water system in the
house, and it has an inlet and outlet connector of 3/4", (like a
washing machine). My water comes in on a 22 mm copper pipe, so it
seems sensible to connect one to the other with a flexible pipe.

Looking in the screw fix catalogue, it would appear that the widest
bore flexible pipe available is 13 mm, so my question is, is this the
widest bore that is available?

It just seems to me, that's going from a 22 mm pipe to a 13 mm bore
pipe will cause an unnecessary restriction or am I missing out on
something here?

The flow you can get through the softener is limited which means that
using better hoses is simply unnecessary.

You will want to arrange the softener so the benefits of the 22mm mains
supply are not lost e.g. to a garden tap (despite not wanting to soften
such water).

It is a water reg requirement not to soften the drinking water. Depending
how the pipes are arranged the best place for the softener may or may not
be on the 22mm pipe.

If you have an unvented HW cylinder or other similar requirements for a
high mains flow to the domestic HW then the softener might be toruble for
the HW performance.

Assuming that you still want to fix the softener into the 22mm supply you
would break the supply pipe into a 22mm T and 22mm valve and a 22mm T. The
sides of the Ts get reduced to 15mm and then put onto washing machine
supply valves.

HTH