Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Blocks: what are they called

I need to add an additional leaf to a wall in the garage and want to add
some insulation at the same time. Can someone tell me what the blocks
with foam insulation on one side are called please.

TIA.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thermalite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex wrote:
Thermalite

Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact,
I don't believe such a product exists.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:32:19 +0000 Grunff wrote :
Thermalite

Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact,
I don't believe such a product exists.

It certainly did, but has the serious disadvantage of leaving the joints
uninsulated. As long as the OP doesn't live in a very exposed area I would
use Rockwool cavity batts between the existing wall and new inner skin.
Alternatively making the new inner skin of timber stud and plasterboard,
insulated between studs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:32:19 +0000, Grunff wrote:

|Alex wrote:
| Thermalite
|
|Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact,
|I don't believe such a product exists.

Well I have seen, but not used, blocks with insulation, which looked like
foam on one side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 10/11/2006 12:03 Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:32:19 +0000, Grunff wrote:

|Alex wrote:
| Thermalite
|
|Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact,
|I don't believe such a product exists.

Well I have seen, but not used, blocks with insulation, which looked like
foam on one side.

Thanks for the responses.

They're not Thermalite: I used some of those 20+ years ago!

I've seen the ones with the foam on one side: that's how I knew they
existed. Just don't have a name for them.

The wall's not going to be too exposed. I'm creating a cloakroom out of
a store that was previously accessed from the garage and that will now
be accessed through a freshly prepared hole into the house. I need to
get some insulation on what was the garage/store single leaf wall.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 10/11/2006 11:32 Tony Bryer wrote:

Alternatively making the new inner skin of timber stud and plasterboard,
insulated between studs.

That may be the way to go - thanks.

What thickness plasterboard though?

And do I use the same for ceiling and walls?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
I need to add an additional leaf to a wall in the garage and want to add
some insulation at the same time. Can someone tell me what the blocks with
foam insulation on one side are called please.

TIA.

--
Frank

Tarmac used to make them, but ISTR that they have stopped as they cannot
assist in compliance to new Part L.

Thermalite do not have insulation on, they are insulating blocks made from
aerated concrete.

I would use either a) crownwool batts (dritherm) or b) insulated
plasterboard.

If you want to fix to the internal skin, remember that insulated board means
longer fixings

HTH

SalesGuy

Fernox Rust inhibitor or whatever it's called AK UK diy 13 September 21st 04 12:44 PM
using connector blocks john UK diy 24 June 27th 04 11:47 PM
Concrete blocks: medium density or aerated type? Lobster UK diy 6 June 11th 04 07:14 PM
Question About Cool Blocks Greg G. Woodworking 24 December 25th 03 08:20 PM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 05:06 PM