john

Default using connector blocks

Is it within the IEE regs to use connector strips or blocks to wire up
halogen lighting in the ceiling?
Specifically I am thinking of connecting the lighting spur to various
halogen lights using connector blocks (which subsequently connect to
transformers).
Is this allowed or do I need to use enclosed junction boxes (the round
type).?

John

Lurch

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:17:44 +0100, "john" strung
together this:

Is it within the IEE regs to use connector strips or blocks to wire up
halogen lighting in the ceiling?

If it's 12V, yes, but crimped connections are better. If it's 240V,
no.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
John Southern

Lurch wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:17:44 +0100, "john" strung
together this:

Is it within the IEE regs to use connector strips or blocks to wire up
halogen lighting in the ceiling?

If it's 12V, yes, but crimped connections are better. If it's 240V,
no.

I agree about using the crimped connections made with a good quality
ratchet crimping tool. But strip connectors can be enclosed inside a
"chocbox" which would satisfy the regs.

Jon.
Dave Liquorice

On 20 Jun 2004 07:59:53 -0700, N. Thornton wrote:

I was impressed enough to go and order one of those selection
trays, they've got a connector for every occasion. They're
particularly handy when you're trying to put light fittings up with
restricted cable length and\or room.

Ooh, what have I been missing?

At a guess:

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/p...tion/index.htm

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

RichardS

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On 20 Jun 2004 07:59:53 -0700, N. Thornton wrote:

I was impressed enough to go and order one of those selection
trays, they've got a connector for every occasion. They're
particularly handy when you're trying to put light fittings up with
restricted cable length and\or room.

Ooh, what have I been missing?

At a guess:

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/p...tion/index.htm

ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around FRAMESET ?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:52:09 +0100, RichardS wrote:

ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around FRAMESET
?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

erm, tried "Electrical Interconnections" the lefthand image of the
three. I don't know which specific product the OP was refering as
there are many...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

RichardS

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:52:09 +0100, RichardS wrote:

ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around FRAMESET
?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

erm, tried "Electrical Interconnections" the lefthand image of the
three. I don't know which specific product the OP was refering as
there are many...

ah, sorry I thought you were referring to a specific product on the site &
the link had been thwarted by the frameset-based website.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

N. Thornton

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message ...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:52:09 +0100, RichardS wrote:

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

ah, sorry I thought you were referring to a specific product on the site &
the link had been thwarted by the frameset-based website.

I'm guessing they maent this one:
http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/p...tion/index.htm
but tis only a guess...

I always thought those were relatively insecure compared to conventional screwdowns.

Regards, NT
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
RichardS noaccess@invalid wrote:
ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around FRAMESET ?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

Well, it is an online 'katalogue' ;-(

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:57:41 +0100, Matt Beard wrote:

Well, it is an online 'katalogue' ;-(

Only if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer - otherwise it is no
more than a set of "error" pages.

You must have a duff browser or NTL are playing silly beggers with
their "transparent" caches. B-) Works fine with Mozilla under
OS/2...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Matt Beard wrote:
Well, it is an online 'katalogue' ;-(

Only if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer - otherwise it is no more
than a set of "error" pages.

Err, check my headers...

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lurch

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:57:41 +0100, Matt Beard
strung together this:

Only if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer - otherwise it is no more
than a set of "error" pages. I try not to buy from companies that don't
understand enough about computers to not swallow the flash sales patter
of a poor web design house - if they are that technically incompetent
then how long before I discover that thier product is not safe with "my
type of wire" or "my shape of screwdriver".

Not really, the people at WAGO know about connecting wires together.
They don't know anything about web design, they ask someone who
proffesses they do who in actuality don't. I have to say I'm not
impressed with flash sites but it doesn't make their product any less.
It's like someone coming on this group and asking a question and
receiving a reply from IMM, a uk.d-i-y virgin doesn't know anything
about his stupidity but can only asssume that because he says he knows
what he's on about that he does, when he doesn't.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Yes but anyone with a some sense does a bit more than just call in
the first company that offers itself to get a job done. In general
good business people will get a feel for the quality (or otherwise) of
a service they're being offered. In addition most will have a
'grapevine' of friends and acquaintances who they will ask for advice
and recommendations.

The quality of a company's advertising (which is what a web site is)
and its other 'visible' facets *does* reflect on that company.

--
Chris Green

Andrew May

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message news:
ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around FRAMESET ?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

I don't know but I would guess these:

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/c...plications.htm

oh, the joys of using Opera as a browser where you can access an
individual frame address.
Lurch

On 23 Jun 2004 06:00:17 -0700, (Andrew May)
strung together this:

I don't know but I would guess these:

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/c...plications.htm

That'd be the ones.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
John Southern

Lurch wrote in message . ..
On 23 Jun 2004 06:00:17 -0700, (Andrew May)
strung together this:

I don't know but I would guess these:

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/uk/eng/c...plications.htm

That'd be the ones.

Senn there advertisement in Pro Sparky for a free smaples kit so i
emialed them and my kit is on its way.
Cant wait as i think they would be really useful in my work (
streetlighting ) for rebuilding gear trays in lanterns.

Jon.
Ian Stirling

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:17:44 +0100, "john" strung
together this:

Is it within the IEE regs to use connector strips or blocks to wire up
halogen lighting in the ceiling?

If it's 12V, yes, but crimped connections are better. If it's 240V,
no.

Are connector strips OK if you use a bit of brass tube inside to act
as a crimp?
Worked well when I tried it, would not pull out with the screws removed.

Lurch

On 26 Jun 2004 00:52:47 GMT, Ian Stirling
strung together this:

Are connector strips OK if you use a bit of brass tube inside to act
as a crimp?
Worked well when I tried it, would not pull out with the screws removed.

You can use connectors, just not shoved in the ceiling, if you put
them in a box you're OK but you may as well just use a junction box by
the time you've faffed about.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd