Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rusting chrome radiator

Hi there,
1 year ago we had our bathroom done and got a nice shiny chome radiator
from screfix and had it installed. This weekend I noticed that a lot of
hairline rust crack had formed on it - one side in particular seemed to
be worse. Our bathroom is very humid as it is poorly ventilated so I
guess this may be in part to blame but seems pretty poor to happen in
under a year (installed in December last year). Does anyone have any
advice for attempting to remove the rust and try and prevent it
happening? or is it alost cause? I saw some rust removing paste yo
could buy from Homebase on the weekend but wasn't sure if it would hurt
the chome finish. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi there,
1 year ago we had our bathroom done and got a nice shiny chome radiator
from screfix and had it installed. This weekend I noticed that a lot of
hairline rust crack had formed on it - one side in particular seemed to
be worse. Our bathroom is very humid as it is poorly ventilated so I
guess this may be in part to blame but seems pretty poor to happen in
under a year (installed in December last year). Does anyone have any
advice for attempting to remove the rust and try and prevent it
happening? or is it alost cause? I saw some rust removing paste yo
could buy from Homebase on the weekend but wasn't sure if it would hurt
the chome finish. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

If it's under a year, don't bother repairing - get it replaced, or
refunded by screwfix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi there,
1 year ago we had our bathroom done and got a nice shiny chome radiator
from screfix and had it installed. This weekend I noticed that a lot of
hairline rust crack had formed on it - one side in particular seemed to
be worse. Our bathroom is very humid as it is poorly ventilated so I
guess this may be in part to blame but seems pretty poor to happen in
under a year (installed in December last year). Does anyone have any
advice for attempting to remove the rust and try and prevent it
happening? or is it alost cause? I saw some rust removing paste yo
could buy from Homebase on the weekend but wasn't sure if it would hurt
the chome finish. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

What happens with chrome is that it cracks, and minoir imperfections
cause rust spots as the coating is pierced.

The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over
galvanized steel.

Cosmetic cleaning with metal polish will make it look better, but
stopping it is a question of heating and ventilation.

Thanks
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunatly it's over a year old as i bought it before it was
installed. Also if I exchange it I guess there's a good chance I'm
going to have the same problem in a years time. Any recommendations for
what I should clean it with? any metal polish OK? Hopefully with a bit
of elbow grease I can get another few years before it looks awful and
then i wiull definitly buy a steel one next time if that prevents this
from happening! Thanks for your replies!

What happens with chrome is that it cracks, and minoir imperfections
cause rust spots as the coating is pierced.

The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over
galvanized steel.

Cosmetic cleaning with metal polish will make it look better, but
stopping it is a question of heating and ventilation.

Thanks
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Unfortunatly it's over a year old as i bought it before it was
installed. Also if I exchange it I guess there's a good chance I'm
going to have the same problem in a years time. Any recommendations for
what I should clean it with? any metal polish OK? Hopefully with a bit
of elbow grease I can get another few years before it looks awful and
then i wiull definitly buy a steel one next time if that prevents this
from happening! Thanks for your replies!

Metal polish will do it - or stuff used for chrome on cars - try Halfords.

Stainless steel is the better alternative.

What happens with chrome is that it cracks, and minoir imperfections
cause rust spots as the coating is pierced.

The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over
galvanized steel.

Cosmetic cleaning with metal polish will make it look better, but
stopping it is a question of heating and ventilation.

Thanks
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote:
Unfortunatly it's over a year old as i bought it before it was
installed. Also if I exchange it I guess there's a good chance I'm
going to have the same problem in a years time. Any recommendations for
what I should clean it with? any metal polish OK? Hopefully with a bit
of elbow grease I can get another few years before it looks awful and
then i wiull definitly buy a steel one next time if that prevents this
from happening! Thanks for your replies!

The same thing happens with steel radiators. You need stainless steel or
aluminium to avoid rusting again. Even if you fit an extractor fan in your
bathroom, assuming that there isn't one now, you still get rusting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over
galvanized steel.

Chrome plating galvanized steel? Are you sure?

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Problem with single cold radiator, that I thought I had fixed ijabz UK diy 5 November 5th 06 09:09 AM
Plumber been, radiator now leaking, wont come back to fix it. Advice please Bramble UK diy 4 May 29th 06 07:05 PM
one cold radiator but no valve tops! [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 06 07:06 PM
Cold Radiator Kroma UK diy 4 December 3rd 05 10:26 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM