Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rusting chrome radiator

Steve wrote:
Unfortunatly it's over a year old as i bought it before it was
installed. Also if I exchange it I guess there's a good chance I'm
going to have the same problem in a years time. Any recommendations for
what I should clean it with? any metal polish OK? Hopefully with a bit
of elbow grease I can get another few years before it looks awful and
then i wiull definitly buy a steel one next time if that prevents this
from happening! Thanks for your replies!

Metal polish will do it - or stuff used for chrome on cars - try Halfords.

Stainless steel is the better alternative.

What happens with chrome is that it cracks, and minoir imperfections
cause rust spots as the coating is pierced.

The short answer is that's chrome plate for you, unless its done over
galvanized steel.

Cosmetic cleaning with metal polish will make it look better, but
stopping it is a question of heating and ventilation.

Thanks
Steve