Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timer Plugs

Hi all

I need a bit of advise. We have 1 of these halogen heaters to warm up our
caravan if we go away during the winter months. I would like if possible to
put it on a timer plug. Now I know usually the plugs say don't use with fan
heater etc as they need to be supervised, this unit is ok as it does not
burn and will switch off if knocked over. Can I use 1 of the timer plugs for
it? the packet says

appliances that fall within the maximum safe and resistive loads-13amp
resistance, 2 amp inductive.

How do I know it falls with in this, as it does run off a 13amp plug.

Many thanks

Glenn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Glenn Clark" contains these words:

How do I know it falls with in this, as it does run off a 13amp plug.

It should be OK electrically, but personally I'd not run an item like
that unsupervised.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:03:31 -0000, Glenn Clark wrote:

I need a bit of advise. We have 1 of these halogen heaters ...

snip
Now I know usually the plugs say don't use with fan heater etc as they
need to be supervised, this unit is ok as it does not burn and will
switch off if knocked over.

I suspect it's the heating of something flamable near the heater that is
the main risk. I'd be wary of using a radiant heat heater (which I think
halogen jobbies are) in this application as something many feet away
could get heated a great deal. I'd be happier with a low power fan
heater, convector or better an oil filled radiator placed well away from
anything. Get a heater with a thermostat and wind it down low and you
won't be using power when it's not needed either, a time switch will
power the heater regardless of the requirement.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Glenn Clark wrote:
I need a bit of advise. We have 1 of these halogen heaters to warm up
our caravan if we go away during the winter months. I would like if
possible to put it on a timer plug. Now I know usually the plugs say
don't use with fan heater etc as they need to be supervised, this unit
is ok as it does not burn and will switch off if knocked over. Can I
use 1 of the timer plugs for it? the packet says

appliances that fall within the maximum safe and resistive loads-13amp
resistance, 2 amp inductive.

How do I know it falls with in this, as it does run off a 13amp plug.

Unless it has a motor of some type the load will be largely resistive.
However, I'd go for the sort of heater designed for long term unsupervised
use - an oil filled or tubular type.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.