Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling over chipboard floor

I'm just about to tile my bathroom floor. I'm going to be using fairly
large tiles (408x408mm) and I'm conscious of the risk of the tiles
cracking if there is any flexing of the chipboard.

I was planning to use a plastic substrate matting that the guy in the
tiling shop recommended but the other day I had the plasterer in to do
some work in the bathroom and he reckoned I'd be better off gluing and
screwing sheets of 12mm plywood to the chipboard and laying the tiles on
top with a flexible adhesive. I must admit it sounds like good advice
although I'm a bit worried about raising the height of the floor too
much.

Any advice appreciated.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
I'm just about to tile my bathroom floor. I'm going to be using fairly
large tiles (408x408mm) and I'm conscious of the risk of the tiles
cracking if there is any flexing of the chipboard.

I was planning to use a plastic substrate matting that the guy in the
tiling shop recommended but the other day I had the plasterer in to do
some work in the bathroom and he reckoned I'd be better off gluing and
screwing sheets of 12mm plywood to the chipboard and laying the tiles on
top with a flexible adhesive. I must admit it sounds like good advice
although I'm a bit worried about raising the height of the floor too
much.

Any advice appreciated.

chipboard on the floor of a bathroom is dodgy at the best of times
because a leaking joint will go unnoticed until the bath falls through
the soggy chipboard.
tiling is short term cover. the chipboard just soaks up water and if
you cover it, it will never dry but rot more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
In message .com,
writes

Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

The entire first floor is chipboard. Its been like that since it was built
20 years ago. I believe its pretty much standard these days. I don't have
any problems with leaky joints and I'm not covering up any damp chipboard.
The floor will be waterproof once it is tiled.

Tiled floors of kitchen, utility room and two bathrooms - all had chipboard
floors, and I nailed 6mm ply on top (nail every 10cm or so, and make sure
there is no movement in the chipboard first. I know that most experts here
recommend 12 or 18mm ply, but this was done on the advice of a very good
friend who does this for a living (self employed). According to him he had
done this for nearly ten years and has yet to be asked back to a job (and I
fully trust him). Just make sure you use Wide Gap Flexible Adhesive (Topps
Tiles do them and I am sure many others).

Hope this helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

Conversely, I didn't use any ply, in a 1st floor bathroom / chipboard
floor. 2 days later it all came up to be replaced with spare laminate I
had in the attic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

Got chipboard in all upstairs bathrooms. Tiled direct. No probs with a
THICK bed of flexible cement. Unless yu have a long term leak and non
waterproof grout.

Doesn;t destroy the chip, but it swells enough to crack the tiles off.

Tiling floor in front of fireplace mrsgator88 Home Repair 10 April 28th 06 04:53 AM
Floor tiling PeteZahut UK diy 3 April 30th 05 03:46 PM
Tiling a floor and using Hardibacker500. Any tips? Mike Barnard UK diy 2 September 22nd 04 06:26 PM
Tiling an uneven floor Richard UK diy 3 September 10th 04 08:04 PM
Tiling a not-flat floor MDixon1918 Home Repair 6 January 15th 04 05:48 PM