Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone extension not working

Having no luck when trying to add another phone socket.

BT cable runs under the house. From there two wires of the BT cable are
connected to Orange/White and White/Orange of two cables that run to the two
existing (+working) sockets. I simply added a third pair to that junction
(O/W and W/O) and run to the new socket. In the new socket I connected O/W
to terminal 3 and W/O to 4 as per
(http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...elephone.html),
but am getting nothing from the new socket (no ringing, dialing tone, etc).

I check for continuity of the new cable (O/W and W/O) and they seem OK.

Any idea what is going on?

Many TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

JoeJoe wrote:
Having no luck when trying to add another phone socket.

BT cable runs under the house. From there two wires of the BT cable are
connected to Orange/White and White/Orange of two cables that run to the two
existing (+working) sockets. I simply added a third pair to that junction
(O/W and W/O) and run to the new socket. In the new socket I connected O/W
to terminal 3 and W/O to 4 as per
(http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...elephone.html),
but am getting nothing from the new socket (no ringing, dialing tone, etc).

I check for continuity of the new cable (O/W and W/O) and they seem OK.

Any idea what is going on?

yes, you're not useing DECT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Having no luck when trying to add another phone socket.

BT cable runs under the house. From there two wires of the BT cable are
connected to Orange/White and White/Orange of two cables that run to the
two existing (+working) sockets. I simply added a third pair to that
junction (O/W and W/O) and run to the new socket. In the new socket I
connected O/W to terminal 3 and W/O to 4 as per
(http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...elephone.html),
but am getting nothing from the new socket (no ringing, dialing tone,
etc).

I check for continuity of the new cable (O/W and W/O) and they seem OK.

Any idea what is going on?

Many TIA.

Terminal 4 is not used. The incoming line uses two conductors and connects
to 2 and 5. If you then want to go out to extensions you need to use 3
conductors, 2, 5, and 3. The extra conductor on terminal 3 is the ring
wire - without it the extensions won't ring.

Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The extra conductor on terminal 3 is the ring wire - without it the
extensions
won't ring.

Well, about 90% of anything built post 1990 will ring. About 10% of phones
won't ring, generally ancient bell type phones, with a few surprising modern
designs thrown in for good measure.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
Having no luck when trying to add another phone socket.

BT cable runs under the house. From there two wires of the BT cable are
connected to Orange/White and White/Orange of two cables that run to the
two
existing (+working) sockets. I simply added a third pair to that junction
(O/W and W/O) and run to the new socket. In the new socket I connected
O/W
to terminal 3 and W/O to 4 as per
(http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...elephone.html),
but am getting nothing from the new socket (no ringing, dialing tone,
etc).

I check for continuity of the new cable (O/W and W/O) and they seem OK.

Any idea what is going on?

yes, you're not useing DECT

Actually I am...

The two existing sockets are one for the DECT and one for broadband. The
new one is needed for the imminent introduction of Sky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

So, is the diagram wrong?

Note that I get nothing out of the new socket - i.e. no dialing tone,
ringing, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
The extra conductor on terminal 3 is the ring wire - without it the
extensions
won't ring.

Well, about 90% of anything built post 1990 will ring. About 10% of phones
won't ring, generally ancient bell type phones, with a few surprising
modern designs thrown in for good measure.

Christian.

I tried the new socket with a very new phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, about 90% of anything built post 1990 will ring. About 10% of
phones won't ring, generally ancient bell type phones, with a few
surprising modern designs thrown in for good measure.

I tried the new socket with a very new phone.

Yes, but you do still need to connect the wires up to the correct terminals!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:12:31 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

So, is the diagram wrong?

I'm pretty sure there is no diagram showing only 3 and 4 connected
(as I wrote all those pages!). If there is please tell me where it
is.

Note that I get nothing out of the new socket - i.e. no dialing tone,
ringing, etc.

You won't , you need to use 2 and 5 at both ends (and 3 to make sure
you get a ringing signal).

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

JoeJoe wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

you've been cut off ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:12:31 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

So, is the diagram wrong?

I'm pretty sure there is no diagram showing only 3 and 4 connected
(as I wrote all those pages!). If there is please tell me where it
is.

I appreciate this but the cables that feed the two other extensions only
have O/W and W/O connected in the junction under the house. So I assumed
that it did not matter if I connected the other wires inside the new socket,
as only those two cables are connected on the other end anyway...

Note that I get nothing out of the new socket - i.e. no dialing tone,
ringing, etc.

You won't , you need to use 2 and 5 at both ends (and 3 to make sure
you get a ringing signal).

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Fixed Telephone wiring guide at :-
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
I appreciate this but the cables that feed the two other extensions only
have O/W and W/O connected in the junction under the house. So I
assumed that it did not matter if I connected the other wires inside
the new socket, as only those two cables are connected on the other end
anyway...

Sounds like you have a bodge. The correct colours for the line are blue,
not orange. One of the 'oranges' is used for the bell wire. The others
aren't normally used for anything. Two wires go to the master socket
(different colours if the actual incoming line), then three to the others.

Here are the standard colours of cable, flex and their terminals.

Old Terminal Cable Cord Function
1 Green/white Orange Spare
Blue 2 Blue/white Red B wire (Line) -50v
Brown 3 Orange/white Blue Shunt wire. (Bell)
Green 4 White/orange Green Local earth (Not usually used)
Orange 5 White/blue White A wire (Line) 0v
6 White/green Black Spare

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:12:31 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

So, is the diagram wrong?

Note that I get nothing out of the new socket - i.e. no dialing tone,
ringing, etc.

Have you got a multimeter? If so you could look for about 50v across
the line (with any phones on-hook).

--
Frank Erskine
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
JoeJoe wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

(
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...elephone.html),
but am getting nothing from the new socket (no ringing, dialing tone,
etc).

I check for continuity of the new cable (O/W and W/O) and they seem OK.

Any idea what is going on?

Many TIA.

Terminal 4 is not used. The incoming line uses two conductors and connects
to 2 and 5. If you then want to go out to extensions you need to use 3
conductors, 2, 5, and 3. The extra conductor on terminal 3 is the ring
wire - without it the extensions won't ring.

So, is the diagram wrong?

Note that I get nothing out of the new socket - i.e. no dialing tone,
ringing, etc.

you've been cut off ?

Hello Peter, incoming line will be connected on A and B connectors (screw terminals) on the NTE box which looks about 4 inches square and can have the bottom section unscrewed to reveal the customers extension wiring. If you do not have one of these the line will terminate on 2 and 5 of the MLJU (master linejack unit) the blue pair should be terminated on these connectors. A single telephone no matter whether corded or cordless is not polarity conscious, however all extensions are! If you have a test meter put it across the pair of your extension, you should see around 60volts DC if you get this voltage you will more than likely get dial tone, if you don,t change the connectors over in 2 and 5.

The ringer wire connects from the MLJU on number 3 and must have good continuity through to the extension socket. If all the conditions are met then everything should work.

As an afterthought to anyone else who may read this, the reason a lot of "foreign" phones do not work even though they look as if they have the correct plug on the end of the cord is that some continental and American systems wire their sockets on 1 and 6 so if we connect on 2 and 5 the plug is not connected to anything in the socket. Hope this helps. Used to do it for a living.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
I appreciate this but the cables that feed the two other extensions only
have O/W and W/O connected in the junction under the house. So I assumed
that it did not matter if I connected the other wires inside the new
socket, as only those two cables are connected on the other end anyway...
You won't , you need to use 2 and 5 at both ends (and 3 to make sure
you get a ringing signal).

I think you're assuming that the person who installed your existing
sockets using O/w and W/o followed Peter's diagrams where the O/w and W/o
are on 3 & 4. They didn't.

It doesn't matter what the wire colours are - the incoming line is on 2 &
5. You should however use a twisted *pair* of wires, not one wire from
then orange pair and another wire from the green pair.

Thanks or all the advice - I gave it another look and I think that I now
know what is going on he

I just noticed that I have two "master socket" fitted (don't ask - only
moved in two years ago, and it was done before then). This is why only one
pair was feeding each and everything was still working. As it is going to be
quite tricky to run the new extension from one of the two masters, I think
that I will put one of them under the house and run two extensions of it
(new one and one replacing the removed master)