paul

Default telephone extension, colour codes, surge protection.

Hi all,
please someone put me right. I've installed one of those multi way
sockets with surge protection and it is also fitted with BT style
telephone sockets. It is for computer use. Now the existing phone
cable I wanted to 'hook' into so I have cut it and using an alarm
conneting box joined the wires again like to like. The colours for
this cable are standard BT colours, white/blue, blue/white,
white/orange and orange/white. From this I want to take off an
extension to the inlet BT socket on the multi socket. The cable for
the modem then plugs into the corresponding outlet. The telephone
cable I have gone to the trouble of putting beneath the floor boards
(hence I done want to change it!) had at one end a BT style plug
fitted. The colours in this 'extension cable' are non standard red,
white, black and yellow. I can see that they are fitted to the plug
run from left to right black, red, white, yellow... with the latch to
the plug on the right. This is fitted to the inlet on the multi plug
the other end I want to connect into the existing cable at the
connector block.
My question is which colour cables from this extension go to which
colour cables in the existing BT cable at the block?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated, sorry about the
ramble but I wanted to try to make it clear (probably failed
misserably!)

BashTin
John Rumm

paul wrote:

My question is which colour cables from this extension go to which
colour cables in the existing BT cable at the block?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated, sorry about the
ramble but I wanted to try to make it clear (probably failed
misserably!)

Have a look at the site below - it should give you all the info you need.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
paul wrote:
Any help or advise would be very much appreciated, sorry about the
ramble but I wanted to try to make it clear (probably failed
misserably!)

See 'phone ext color of wires' which should still be on your ISP.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
paul

Thanks for the help guys, got it sorted in the end.

Thats a pint I owe you both!