Default Help: Planning application for two storey extension

Hi,

I recently applied for planning permission to build a two-storey
extension on the side of my semi-detached house. There is an existent
detached garage there which would be demolished to make way for the
extension. The proposed extension would be inline with the exisiting
house (i.e. not set forward or back of the current house). The house
is right at the end of a row of semis so the extension side is not
very close to another property.

I've just had a letter from the local council saying that there have
been no specific objections to the application but that we would have
to set back the extension by 1 metre from the the existing house in
order to get approval because "(it) would allow the extension to sit
more comfortably with the parent dwelling ...". However the main
purpose of this extension is to gain a double bedroom and reducing the
size of this room by 1 metre would make it a single and useless to us.
We haven't got much space at the back so I don't think it would be
feasable to move the whole thing back by 1m.

The property is not listed and we do not live in a conservation area.
(It's an ordinary 1960's semi).

The only other house in our street that has been extended recently did
not have to have any "set back". (The houses are not long front to
back).

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

Thanks in advance
(Worried)

Peter Crosland

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

Hugh

Sound advice there.
Failing that the only other option would be to find a surveyor/architect who
is an expert on planning matters who may be able to persuade the council to
overturn the decision.

Hugh

--
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

sPoNiX

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:03:48 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

Yes, point out that other extensions don't have the 1m set back. This
possibly sets a prescident.

sPoNIX

David

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

While this is probably your only route, I have to say that an extension
similar to what you what you describe, set back 1m from the front of the
house has just been put up around the corner from where I live and it is far
more visually attractive than another property that was done several years
ago with the extension in-line with the existing house, which just looks
totally out of place.
I know that this is of no use to you but I believe that this is probably the
perspective that the planners may now be taking. Personally I would prefer
to see any two storey side extension set back from the main house (unless
it was possibly my own :-), but as it is I'm only planning a single storey
extension along the rear, and a little bit of the side.

Having said all that I've some friends who had there two storey side
extension, in-line with their property built a couple of years ago, despite
objections from the neighbours... so the exact criteria are certainly not
clear without some discussion with the planners involved.

cheers

David

David

wrote:

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

Yes, point out that other extensions don't have the 1m set back. This
possibly sets a prescident.

sPoNIX

Yeah, but planning conditions, as with building regulations can change and
going by what I've seen locally precedent is not all that important (to our
local planners at least.)

David

IMM

"David" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

While this is probably your only route, I have to say that an extension
similar to what you what you describe, set back 1m from the front of the
house has just been put up around the corner from where I live and it is

far
more visually attractive than another property that was done several

years
ago with the extension in-line with the existing house, which just looks
totally out of place.

Some authorities insist than any extension cannot be flush with the existing
walls. This means that a rear extension is a walls width inboard than the
main walls. Sometimes it look hideous. I can't see why they insist on
this, as it makes no sense at all.

David

"IMM" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

[...]

While I would agree that it may be dodgy (and a bit pointless) on a rear
extension, for any side extension that I've seen, my personal opinion is
that setting back actually looks a lot better.

David

Tony Bryer

In article , Imm wrote:
Some authorities insist than any extension cannot be flush with the
existing walls. This means that a rear extension is a walls width
inboard than the main walls. Sometimes it look hideous. I can't
see why they insist on this, as it makes no sense at all.

On a brick house it nicely conceals any slight mismatch between the old
and new brick colours, and, although planners would not be interested
in this, provides a convenient place for a movement joint.

The usual reason IME for requiring a setback is to be prevent the
appearance of terracing where adjacent semis want to build 2-storey
extensions out to the boundary. The OP suggests that this is not a
factor in his case so it is probably worth establishing why the council
has this policy and arguing that it is not appropriate in this
particular case.

Alan G

David wrote:
"IMM" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

[...]

You can get a similar visual effect by using a darker brick at the join.
The planners may go for it if he can get a good drawing sghowing the effect

Ziggy

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:15:28 +0100, wrote:

I've just had a letter from the local council saying that there have
been no specific objections to the application but that we would have
to set back the extension by 1 metre from the the existing house in
order to get approval because "(it) would allow the extension to sit
more comfortably with the parent dwelling ...". However the main
purpose of this extension is to gain a double bedroom and reducing the
size of this room by 1 metre would make it a single and useless to us.
We haven't got much space at the back so I don't think it would be
feasable to move the whole thing back by 1m.

The property is not listed and we do not live in a conservation area.
(It's an ordinary 1960's semi).

Round here, upper storeys have to be set back 1 metre from the
boundary. Effectively this renders them uneconomic, as they cost more
to support the upper wall and give less room. The excuse is to prevent
it looking like a terrace. This despite 40% of properties in the
street already having such extensions and planning permission for just
such an extension having been given in another street.. The council
even tried to claim it was a conservation area when I appealed ( a
waste of time as the appeal body even states most appeals fail in its
literature). All the more galling when some detached houses here have
been allowed to literally treble in size.

With house prices as they are here (London), moving to a larger house
is not an option. Quite frankly, planners seem to have lost sight of
the fact that houses are for living in. Strange as on a programme
this week, one planner was happily talking of the need for housing as
a justification for building in a beauty spot near Aylesbury.

IMM

"Ziggy" wrote in message
[...]

They have lost sight that houses must be put on land as well.

Strange as on a programme
this week, one planner was happily talking of the need for housing as
a justification for building in a beauty spot near Aylesbury.

I know of no beauty spots near Aylesbury.

G&M

wrote:

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

Yes, point out that other extensions don't have the 1m set back. This
possibly sets a prescident.

I believe there was a recent recommendation from whatever the professional
body is for architects that this is done and the council is following that
advice. The previous extension probably predates that advice and so won't
set a precident.

David Byers

x-no-archive: yes
Tony Bryer wrote in message
In article , Imm wrote:
On a brick house it nicely conceals any slight mismatch between the old
and new brick colours, and, although planners would not be interested
in this, provides a convenient place for a movement joint.

The usual reason IME for requiring a setback is to be prevent the
appearance of terracing where adjacent semis want to build 2-storey
extensions out to the boundary. The OP suggests that this is not a
factor in his case so it is probably worth establishing why the council
has this policy and arguing that it is not appropriate in this
particular case.

Agree with this - a set-back can visually reduce the apparent in-filling of
a gap between 2 houses (neighbours are often concerned about two detached
houses becoming more like terraced ones, for example), but also it's
normally good design to make sure that an extension is visually subordinate
to the building that it's extending - shows the organic growth of a building
over time (a traditional way of building), shows that it's an 'extension'!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:44:44 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

I believe there was a recent recommendation from whatever the professional
body is for architects that this is done and the council is following that
advice. The previous extension probably predates that advice and so won't
set a precident.

I have been informed that this "set back" rule only applies to
semi-detached houses and not to detached houses (the previous
extension was on a detached house). Figure that one out!

OP.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:37:54 +0100, "David Byers"
wrote:

Agree with this - a set-back can visually reduce the apparent in-filling of
a gap between 2 houses (neighbours are often concerned about two detached
houses becoming more like terraced ones, for example), but also it's
normally good design to make sure that an extension is visually subordinate
to the building that it's extending - shows the organic growth of a building
over time (a traditional way of building), shows that it's an 'extension'!

There are many extensions around here that are not "visually
subordinate". For example there is one semi that has more than
doubled in size.

I can't see what so wonderful about seeing the "organic growth" of my
house over time. It's not a 14th Century Castle - it's a 1960's
semi!!!

OP.

Toby

IMM wrote:
Bertie, I have been to Aylesbury many times and saw no beauty around
it. Just plain boring fields crying to be built on. There again,
being ultra sophisticated, I have high expectation of beauty.

So what part of Watford do you find beautiful?

--
Toby.

MBQ

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"Ziggy" wrote in message
[...]

As you would say, look harder. They exist, if you think they don't
then you have to prove it. LOL

MBQ
IMM

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

"Ziggy" wrote in message
[...]

Prove to me there is beauty around Aylesbury. I'm sure many other would
like to know too.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:52:36 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Prove to me there is beauty around Aylesbury. I'm sure many other would
like to know too.

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/default.asp

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
rob w

wrote in message . ..
[...]

I had exactly the same problem, i just went to planning, drawings in
hand and had a meeting with them , problem solved it seemed as if you
put up a reasonable arguement they will roll over, this happened three
times duing the build of the extension and I won each time.
Ive since built a self build and they where not as willing to talk on
that but thats another story no pun intended!
Rob
nambucca

"rob w" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
[...]

I will bet I even know which LA you are in
They have this crazy theory that setting back makes extentions subserviant

Defeated that nonsense on appeal

Tell me what area you are in then i might be able to give you a precedent
number you can quote them

Tony Bryer

In article , Nambucca wrote:
I will bet I even know which LA you are in
They have this crazy theory that setting back makes extentions

subserviant

Somehow I doubt that you know which LA it is as loads of them have this
policy: type "side extension setback planning" into Google and several
references on the first page spell this out, e.g Trafford

"EITHER a minimum space of 1m should be preserved between the extension
and the party boundary to the side of the property, OR the front wall
of the first floor of the extension should be set back at least 1m from
the immediately adjoining part of the main front wall of the original
dwelling.

The above requirement may be relaxed if, because of a staggered or
irregular arrangement of the dwellings in the street, the construction
of the extension would not create an actual or potential terracing
effect"

Defeated that nonsense on appeal

I don't doubt that in a particular case you might win on appeal, but I
would only expect to win if you can argue that the general policy has
been misapplied in the particular case being appealed.

If you want real daftness wrt 2-storey side extensions, a relative's
one was turned down because it represented an unacceptable extension
into the Green Belt (the existing house was a small cottage in GB). A
single storey side extension taking up the same footprint was allowed
as the amount of additional floorspace was within permitted limits.

nambucca

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Nambucca wrote:
[...]

well actually NO .......there was no special reasons etc why the set back
was defeated at appeal .......just had a sensible Appeals Inspector and went
round the area photographing all the extensions that were not setback
.........all those that looked ghastly ........matched them to their planning
numbers and plotted them on a map ........the Inspector did a tour of the
area the night before the Informal hearing and we really did not need to try
too hard to put our case

The alternative was £4000 for an expert !!!!!!

Its always worth doing your homework , taking photos of the Good the bad and
the ugly ,with some time, thought and commonsense theres no reason why you
cant win your case ........most of it gets done in the written submission
you make anyway

MBQ

"IMM" wrote in message ...

Strange as on a programme
this week, one planner was happily talking of the need for housing as
a justification for building in a beauty spot near Aylesbury.

I know of no beauty spots near Aylesbury.

As you would say, look harder. They exist, if you think they don't
then you have to prove it. LOL

Prove to me there is beauty around Aylesbury.

No, I'm going to keep it for myself and others who know how to
appreciate it. You would only want to come and build on it.

MBQ