Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shaver socket with separate transformer

Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.
Cheers,
Simon.

I managed to getr away with a simple deep backing box. Well tills SHE
wanted it moved, then I used a pushfit plastic box and cut a hole in the
back where the transformer sticks out.

But of course you could use a remote one I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.

Doubt it; but whatever you end up with it will still need to burying
surely? A shaver transformer isn't all that much deeper than a
conventional plug socket IIRC?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ?

Not AFAIK.

The transformer is switched by inserting the shaver plug (why they hum
and may overheat if you leave the shaver plugged in). Although it's not
impossible to do this with a split design, it's more complex than just
a supply to the transformer, then running the output to a minimal
socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.
Cheers,
Simon.

What do you want to run from this?

Most of the things that can be run from these are available in
re-chargeable form. Just charge it elsewhere in the house once a week
and happily shave/toothbrush/whatever in the bathroom or elsewhere.

Another alternative would be a shaverlight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.
Cheers,
Simon.

What do you want to run from this?

I would guess, shaver (recharge sometimes, and for guests) and elec
toothbrush, recharge since it won't run off mains.

Most of the things that can be run from these are available in
re-chargeable form. Just charge it elsewhere in the house once a week
and happily shave/toothbrush/whatever in the bathroom or elsewhere.

Yes of course you can. It's a question of convenience like most things
in our cushy lives.
And while I'm doing the bathroom, may as well kit it out properly. I
may only put in one socket though !

Another alternative would be a shaverlight.

No good, since the one my parents have only charged when the light was
on.
I have never seen a shaverlight that didn't look crap.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.

Assuming you can source the non isolated sockets you want which conform to
regs, I think your easiest way would be to buy (cheap) isolated ones as
donors for the transformers. CPC, etc, don't appear to sell the
transformers on their own - unless I've simply not seen them.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Yes of course you can. It's a question of convenience like most things
in our cushy lives.
And while I'm doing the bathroom, may as well kit it out properly. I
may only put in one socket though !

What is the problem with fitting a deeper back box? (they don't need to
be taht much deeper than the one required for an non transformed socket)

Another alternative would be a shaverlight.

No good, since the one my parents have only charged when the light was
on.
I have never seen a shaverlight that didn't look crap.

Try these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_1/index.html

They supply power to the socket without the light needing to be on, and
look a fair bit nicer than many.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I have never seen a shaverlight that didn't look crap.

I have one of these, which IMHO doesn't look bad - at least isn't the
boxy type which you're probably referring to?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LL5707.html

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs). Or, where to get sockets without transformer and a separate
suitable transfomer (I guess you need one per socket for isolation
reasons).
I don't want to cut into the wall do bury a transformer, and want flush
mounting chrome sockets.
Cheers,
Simon.

We've got our electric toothbrush permanently plugged into one of these
http://tinyurl.com/yx94rn (link goes to TLC-Direct)

You say that you don't want to cut into the wall (to mount a transformer)
but you want a flush mounted socket??? There's got to be something in the
wall so it may as well be one of these as they're not much deeper than a
normal socket.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doubt it; but whatever you end up with it will still need to burying
surely? A shaver transformer isn't all that much deeper than a
conventional plug socket IIRC?

You are having a laugh, aren't you?

A standard shaver socket is very low profile (and single sized, rather than
double, too).

An isolating shaver outlet is the size of a double decker bus.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You say that you don't want to cut into the wall (to mount a transformer)
but you want a flush mounted socket??? There's got to be something in the
wall so it may as well be one of these as they're not much deeper than a
normal socket.

A non-isolated shaver socket will normally fit within the thickness of
plaster, especially if there are tiles. There is no way an isolated type
will fit. You're lucky if it doesn't sit in the cavity of the wall.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs).

Standalone BS3535 isolating transformers:

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/ACAT...nsformers.html

They don't have a 230V-230V, so the output would be 110V, which is probably
no hardship in this application, but check your toothbrush. 50VA should be
fine, I'd imagine, unless someone knows the regs give a minimum VA rating.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They don't have a 230V-230V, so the output would be 110V, which is
probably no hardship in this application,

Note that bonding could become a bit of an issue.

Personally, I would not bond to earth through the supply cable (use 2 core
non earthed cable), but would include the fitting in the supplementary
equipotential bonding. I have no idea if that is what the regs recommend and
you may wish to check with the IET.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Doubt it; but whatever you end up with it will still need to burying
surely? A shaver transformer isn't all that much deeper than a
conventional plug socket IIRC?

You are having a laugh, aren't you?

A standard shaver socket is very low profile (and single sized, rather than
double, too).

An isolating shaver outlet is the size of a double decker bus.

I have one of these in the bathroom, flush, in a 47mm steel backbox:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/K701.pdf

ie, not all that much deeper than a conventional plug socket - certainly
not so much more as to make it a big issue, anyway. So, still not sure
what the OP's problem is?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have one of these in the bathroom, flush, in a 47mm steel backbox:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/K701.pdf

Exactly. A 47mm backbox ensures you need to dig out brick/block/rubble,
unlike a non-isolated socket. The double size plate is also less than
inconspicuous.

ie, not all that much deeper than a conventional plug socket - certainly
not so much more as to make it a big issue, anyway. So, still not sure
what the OP's problem is?

Doesn't want to/can't dig out the wall deeper than the plaster, presumably.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
Can you get a (double) shaver socket setup with the transformer
separated, i.e. above bathroom in loft ? (that would be OK for the
regs).

Standalone BS3535 isolating transformers:

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/ACAT...nsformers.html

They don't have a 230V-230V, so the output would be 110V, which is probably
no hardship in this application, but check your toothbrush. 50VA should be
fine, I'd imagine, unless someone knows the regs give a minimum VA rating.

Regs give a max rating for a shaver socket. I think it's
something like 25VA, but I don't have them on me to check.
The regulation is not good -- off-load, they are around
270V. The instructions usually warn to run low power
things like chargers with wide ranging voltage rating on
the 120V side. Of course, no one sees these because the
electrician chucks them out before the householder moves
in.;-)

The sockets have a self-resetting thermal trip in the
transformer windings, which in effect forms a very slow
blow fuse. This might be a requirement of the BS, as they
all seem to do it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

So for reasons of convenience, rather than plug it in outside the
bathroom, you'd sooner chase out the plaster for wire and backbox,
drill into the loft, crawl into the loft and wire up an iso, wire it
into a socket in the bathroom, replaster and redecorate it all. Then
run your appliances on 240v + upto 20%, at which voltage breakdowns
will be a problem.

Maybe I just have a strange idea of convenience.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct 2006 19:35:52 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
[...]

Like this ?
http://www.taps4less.com/PP/V-1010.html

Robert
Robert

Loft power socket? - UK diy 7 July 12th 06 10:54 AM
'Moving' a socket Aldrich UK diy 4 July 4th 06 07:11 PM
Is my LT44 transformer suitable for audio (de)coupling? Andy Electronics Repair 113 May 6th 06 04:19 PM
buzzing shaver socket mike UK diy 2 December 31st 04 02:54 PM
More power from shaver socket wanted Andrew Gabriel UK diy 8 August 10th 03 04:54 PM