Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Moving' a socket

Hi

I want to hang a bookcase on a wall where it will cover an existing double
socket which is not surface mounted. I need a socket in that part of the
room so the easiest solution is to mount an extension lead on the wall
beside the bookcase and plug it into the existing socket. However, only
4-way extension sockets have holes for wall mounting and there is only room
for a double socket between the bookcase and the doorframe, so the 4-way
would have to be mounted vertically which is a little unsightly.

An alternative would be to surface mount a new double socket. I don't want
to hard-wire it into the old socket because then I would have to surface
mount the old socket and the bookcase would be away from the wall. I
certainly don't want to have to channel the wire into the wall.

Is it permissible to connect the new outlet to the existing one using a 13A
plug or would that be against regulations or good practice?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The charger for this laptop is plugged into a 6 way trailing socket made by
Belkin, and it has wall hanging holes at the back.

As for your last question, it would seem illogical if you could hang such a
piece of lightweight plastic on the wall yet not a well made MK double
socket with back-box. I suppose the answer is both scenarios are bad
practice if they are intended to be permanent.

Perhaps someone can give a definitive answer.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can buy two way extension lead such as
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...01333&type=alt

Provided the fuse in the plug is rated to protect the cable you can
make up any kind of extension lead. Not best practice but the way of
the future now that part P makes changes to permanent wiring so
expensive.

dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aldrich wrote:
[...]

Dunno, but that's how I wired up my benching of kitchen units :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies, they were helpful.

David

Finding the BT Master socket asalcedo UK diy 27 June 29th 06 09:15 PM
Spur for boiler needed - Via junction box or socket? [email protected] UK diy 10 June 1st 05 08:42 AM
moving a socket & part P. John UK diy 4 March 28th 05 09:42 PM
Socket near sink query John Smith UK diy 13 June 1st 04 09:42 PM
Craftsman socket turning grey jim Metalworking 0 December 14th 03 02:47 AM