Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Moving' a socket

Aldrich wrote:
Hi

I want to hang a bookcase on a wall where it will cover an existing double
socket which is not surface mounted. I need a socket in that part of the
room so the easiest solution is to mount an extension lead on the wall
beside the bookcase and plug it into the existing socket. However, only
4-way extension sockets have holes for wall mounting and there is only room
for a double socket between the bookcase and the doorframe, so the 4-way
would have to be mounted vertically which is a little unsightly.

An alternative would be to surface mount a new double socket. I don't want
to hard-wire it into the old socket because then I would have to surface
mount the old socket and the bookcase would be away from the wall. I
certainly don't want to have to channel the wire into the wall.

Is it permissible to connect the new outlet to the existing one using a 13A
plug or would that be against regulations or good practice?

David

Dunno, but that's how I wired up my benching of kitchen units :-)